Good Foods for Great Health

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yeah I'm with you Lisak1. I've been using pond water for 16 years to water my garden. During dry spells I'd have a watering pail in each hand as I dump gallons of pond water on every plant. I would take an hour after work doing this watering... lowering the pond by 6 inches and counting on a rain a couple days later to fill it back up.

It does totally make sense that growing plants directly in the water wouldn't be any different as far as being safe to consume. I thought I had read somewhere about issues with this, but it must have been more to tuber style veggies - potatoes or carrots.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
And for people worried that some will toke and drive, not going to change as people already are smoking up a storm. I would be more concerned about drinking and driving and those taking the most addictive pharmaceutical hard drugs and mixing that with alcohol and driving..... Now that is a really big problem

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Finally! The secret to @callingcolleen1 's perky personality! ;)

I had started experiencing some arthritis in my fingers - very creaky in the morning and my grip strength was all but gone. I eliminated all added sugar from my diet - problem gone. All my joints feel better as a matter of fact. And I agree - if you want to be able to move with ease, you've got to keep moving!

Reaction score
Sugar causes inflammation in the body. Cut it out, and the inflammation subsides.
I wish it was that simple. Avoiding sugar is harder then it seems, it takes many forms and is created in the body from other food (Eg; Carbohydrates). And unfortunately there is a long list of other foods that can cause inflammation in the body and different people have different reactions to the foods on that list.
The easier approach is to learn which foods are neutral or anti-inflammatory and learn how to only eat the foods on that list. I say "learn how to eat those foods" because even that isn't easy. By the time most people become adults they have already established a particular type of diet for themselves and trying to change that diet can be as hard, or harder, then quitting smoking.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A good caveat, Mucky. I have done a lot of reading and research about sugar, and am familiar with the different types of sugars and how many foods get broken down into sugars. I guess I should have been more encompassing in my statement. And, there are other foods that can and do cause inflammation, worse for some than others. However, if Americans would work on cutting down "added", especially refined sugars (difficult, but not impossible due to habits and sugars addictive properties), many millions would be so much healthier and feel so much better. In 2014, The United States Department of Agriculture reported that the average American consumes between 150 to 170 pounds of refined sugars in one year!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I grew peppers and tomatoes in my bog and window bogs last year. They did great! Plants in bog were in gravel and window bogs just had water sprayed over roots. Got over-run with watercress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was referring to added sugar. Naturally occurring sugars don't have the same effect, at least for me. Watch Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" - it's on Netflix. He has three simple rules - eat food (meaning real, identifiable foods - nothing that has a list of ingredients), not too much, mostly plants. It's eye opening how many products contain added sugar. It's easy to avoid if you eat nothing from a package and mainly things you prepare yourself. It's criminal what the food industry is doing to the health of our nation. We could reduce our health care costs dramatically f we weren't all making ourselves sick with the SAD (Standard American Diet).

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought Pollan's movie was very insightful. In addition to
Eat Food
Mostly Plants
Not too much

I also wrote down and keep posted on my fridge
-Eat only foods that will eventually rot
-Eat only foods cooked by humans
-Avoid foods you see advertised on television

and
-Treat meat as a flavoring or special occasion food
-If it came from a plant eat it; if it was made in a plant don't
-Eat your colors (wide range of plants)

I also thought the segment on breast milk and the recurring references throughout about the microbes within our digestive system made so much sense.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I also thought the segment on breast milk and the recurring references throughout about the microbes within our digestive system made so much sense.

I loved that part! Nature has created us so perfectly, if we only stick to the plan!

That part about only eating food that you know will rot made so much sense! As well as avoiding any food that you see advertised - nothing but chemical soup.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The worst sugars are hiding in MILK! Everybody drinking low fat or zero fat milk are getting more sugar in that one glass of Low fat milk than a honey glazed donut! Yes that is right, one big fat honey glazed donut only has 9 grams of sugar but a glass of skim milk has 12 or 13 grams of "lactose" sugar, zero fat milk just has more sugar from cow. Just so you know I eat neither and rarely eat anything with sugar. Never ever drink pop or juice as sugar very high there too. I eat oranges when I want something sweet. I cannot drink milk as I am lactose intolerant but can drink the table cream as there is next to no lactose sugar as it has less than one gram. If you choose low fat ice cream you get twice as much sugar as they switch the low sugar cream for the high sugar milk which then adds another 13 grams of sugar to the ice cream in the form of lactose. If you choose "real cream first" ice cream, then the sugar is less than half of the low fat ice cream.

Ask a Question