looks like im throwing saltines away...

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I try not to eat crackers much, I actually only have them on rare occasions. I think they get stuck in teeth bad and I rarely eat lots of bread products, potatoes on the other hand I eat every day some times.

I think it's ok to have the odd cracker just not every day. Brush good after..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

Number one reason - government subsidies. We subsidize the growing of corn and soy, so we grow way too much. The "food chemists" are then charged with the task of finding ways to use up all that extra by creating all kinds of "foods" that we will crave. I read recently that 90% of the products in your standard grocery store contain either corn or soy in some form. But if we were paying the true cost of those products we wouldn't buy them - they would be too expensive. Most of the corn grown in this country is inedible as it comes off the plant - it has to be highly processed to create things like high fructose corn syrup. We drive through these miles and miles of corn fields and think we live in the land of plenty - in truth the majority of our fresh produce is grown in some 300 square miles in California. We need a revival of the small, family farm in this country or we will be in big, big trouble in the not too distant future.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I work at one of the biggest grocery stores in town and over the years I have learned lots... Like for example, all the trans fat that causes heart attack only found in the Vegetable oil products. Also the Vegetable shorting used for pie crust and other baking needs had horrific amounts of trans fat, just a couple years ago it was 5 full grams of trans fat and now they lowered it to 2 full grams... But the pure lard has only 0.1 gram, so low it's almost not even there, and then it's a natural trans fat created in the stomach of the animal instead of the artificial trans fat created by over cooking the Vegetable oil. Then brand names have now lowered the trans fat, but now it's almost liquid form but when you cook it them more trans fats are formed.

Then the new word for Hydrogenated is now "partially modified" .... Same thing just not cooked quite as much.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
But BigAg is trying to snuff out the small family farm.
Not just trying - they effectively have. Monsanto and ConAgra combined receive something like 85% of the government subsidies. They control everything farm related from the seed to the fertilizer to the livestock. It's frightening.

We all need to press our local politicians for answers on how they are protecting local vegetable and livestock producers.
If they don't give an acceptable answer, you need to tell them that they won't be getting your vote!

Ask a Question