Gravel/Bog Filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@juliej - are you asking if having exposed gravel will reduce mosquitoes in your bog? The answer to that would be yes - mosquitoes only lay eggs in/on standing water. However, we have about an inch or two of water over the gravel in our bog and have no issue with mosquitoes breeding. One, because the water isn't still and two because the bog is home to lots of frogs!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Washing or peeling crops contaminated with ecoli won't rid the vegetable of the bacteria. If it's in the water source, it's in their cell structure. (I think)
I've been growing horse radish, carrots, potatoes and ginger in my indoor aquaponic setup without incident..so far.
Maybe our own eating habits overall mean that we are healthy individuals so we are more immune to occasional exposure to otherwise harmful bacteria.

I have heard the e-coli bacteria has been known to invade the plant and colonize, but I don't think that means it's actually part of the plant. Most of the bacteria would still be on the exterior of the fruit/vegetable and can be washed off. Lots to learn about bacteria and health it seems! We all have e-coli in our guts - it's all about maintaining that balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
as lisa and julie hit on.

if the water is moving over the rocks "fast enough" not sure what it is for those pesky blood suckers. you should be ok. but if it is not then you have those pesky suckers. My bog i covered all the water and see none at all currently so no flying vampire problems there. safe> sorry when it comes to those vamps. if you rather have the exposed water check in to mosquito dunks . know a few who used them and they like them .

https://www.planetnatural.com/product/mosquito-dunks/

Ask a Question