Green floating weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have recently extended my pond, still small approx. 8ft by 3ft by 2ft deep. Since refilling within about a week I have started to get floating green algae type of weed, it is not sticking together just floating around, seems to get worse when the suns out, by morning it has sunk to the base of the pond, attached photos, keen to understand the name of it so I can research it?

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 158

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! I am not sure of the name of it but have had it also at times past and would net the stuff from the surface during the day to try and control it. Do you have other plants to compete for the nutrients in the water with the algae?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I do have an amount of plants but only currently covering about 20% of surface area, I have more plants coming as I thought this may be something to do with it.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Once the new plants get established your situation should improve. I imagine the disturbance of the remodel and new water has changed the equilibrium of you pond. For example, in my area they use phosphates, a nutrient, in the tap water to control iron. Topping off my ponds with tap water can cause a green water bloom.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Also I would not use any harsh chemicals to try to rid yourself of that algae. Some here on this forum do use Hydrogen Peroxide to kill the algae but only use food grade type and use the correct amounts. I have never used it so cannot tell you exactly how to use it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Plants are a great neutralizer of nutrients that keep the algae alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
this sounds pretty normal when starting up a pond or extension. Mine looked like a mess till two weeks after getting the bog filters going. Those bog filters are game changers.

Ask a Question