Green pond water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The algae is consuming your nitrates which is why you are getting a zero reading. Algae is beneficial to the pond as it is establishing itself or even if it gets out of balance down the road. Patience, it will clear on its own.

It’s not just consuming nutrients in the pond, as I said before it is establishing the base of the food chain.

Free floating algae isn’t the only thing growing in the water, there is also phytoplankton establishing its population then will come zooplankton and so on. Using a UV will short circuit establishing a natural balance in the pond.

Thanks for explaining.
How long does it usually take for the water to become crystal clear?

Also since I don't have a skimmer should I be netting out any fallen leaves etc or will it be ok to simply sink to the bottom over time?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You should be removing as many of the fallen leaves as you can because when they decompose they'll only add more ammonia (and eventually nitrates) for the system to deal with which could cause more algae issues in the future.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am 4 years into converting my swimming pool into a pond. I added mosquito fish first, to avoid that issue. In Florida, we are pretty much choosing between Tilapia and catfish if we want to eat the residents. I started with 100 channel cats, $30 worth. Lost a few to the blue herons and bullfrogs, but we have eaten 20 now and there are about the same number left. They are about 6 lbs now, and unfortunately not self-cleaning. Other than that, they are fun. I had green water for a month or two, but finally gave in to the advice to just shade out the algae. Hyacinths were the cure.... they grow fast and completely covered the pool in about a month. Beautiful blue flowers are a plus. They are cold sensitive, and die back in the winter somewhat. I have to compost lots of them, but they do make good mulch. Now you can see all the way to the bottom, even on the 8 foot deep end. I have a few videos on youtube.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I am 4 years into converting my swimming pool into a pond. I added mosquito fish first, to avoid that issue. In Florida, we are pretty much choosing between Tilapia and catfish if we want to eat the residents. I started with 100 channel cats, $30 worth. Lost a few to the blue herons and bullfrogs, but we have eaten 20 now and there are about the same number left. They are about 6 lbs now, and unfortunately not self-cleaning. Other than that, they are fun. I had green water for a month or two, but finally gave in to the advice to just shade out the algae. Hyacinths were the cure.... they grow fast and completely covered the pool in about a month. Beautiful blue flowers are a plus. They are cold sensitive, and die back in the winter somewhat. I have to compost lots of them, but they do make good mulch. Now you can see all the way to the bottom, even on the 8 foot deep end. I have a few videos on youtube.
Would you mind posting the links, @macktyner?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Alice_Bee - if you're asking the OP, he hasn't been active here in a while. But there's lots of good information on the forum about building a bog and most will tell you they use pea gravel in a bog. My bog is deeper than most, so they bottom 2/3 is Aquablox, topped with layers of rock - first softball sized boulders, then golf ball sized rock topped off with pea gravel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't have a bog yet, but planning one for this coming Spring.
Most articles or posts I've read insist on 3/8" sized pea gravel.
The average depth of gravel is 12". Some do go deeper.
The size of the bog should be determined by calculating 30% of the pond's water surface.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know that i will go with a bog filter. I'm just curious. I am too lazy to clean that much gravel. and eventually everything needs cleaned I think. Don't want my kids to inherit a ton of mess.

Ask a Question