Pond Green Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Ive put Hydra Crystals into my garden fish and plant pond to get of the Green water. Does anyone know how long it takes to work. I put in correct dosage 24hours ago and the surface water seems clearer as i can see the fish coming up to feed.

Reaction score
This is the beginning of how people get in trouble. I can't say how long it will take but try not to add anything to your pond. There may be some instances where you have no other choice but green water isn't one of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Welcome to the group, you will get great advice here from a lot of very experienced ponders.

I have current experience with green water so understand your desire to get rid of it, so give us some more information so we can give you some help. Starting with information about your pond: dimensions, gallons, filtration, aeration, water pump gallons per hour, fish and any other occupants of the pond and plants in the pond. Also have you tested the water if so what are the results. Finally, pictures are really helpful so add as many as you can that show your pond, equipment, fish etc. then we can give you some help tailored to your conditions and pond. And don’t add anything else to the pond, stop feeding the fish, and add aeration if you do not already have some going.

Lastly, nothing will clear up the green water fast that will last. Getting the conditions of the pond correct will start a natural process that will over time result in a gradual reduction in the green water until one day it is just gone. But even after that, you can expect an occasional algae bloom due to some new imbalance like over feeding the fish, or coming out of winter before the plants have recovered and started doing their job of reducing nutrients.

Finally, green water is not bad, just not pretty. It is an indication that there are to many nutrients in the pond and the algae are consuming them and in the process protecting your fish from lethal water conditions. Be patient and recognize that green is a good thing and a signal that something needs to change if you want to see your fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the beginning of how people get in trouble. I can't say how long it will take but try not to add anything to your pond. There may be some instances where you have no other choice but green water isn't one of them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. It came highly recommended as does everything. I take your point but water is intensely green albeit all the chemistry is 100% spot on

Reaction score
Thanks. It came highly recommended as does everything. I take your point but water is intensely green albeit all the chemistry is 100% spot on
Get a good UV light and it will be clear within a week. Once clear turn it off and save the bulb for the next episode of green water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Get a good UV light and it will be clear within a week. Once clear turn it off and save the bulb for the next episode of green water.
I have a UV filter in the pond which runs 24/7. Water remains green

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Like @MajorDan suggested, a bit more information about your pond would be helpful. How big is it? How many and what kind of fish? Do you have plants in the pond? What kind of filtration are you using? When you say "green water" are we talking single cell algae? Like pea soup green? Does it get caught in your filter media?

It's important to know that the green water is not in and of itself a problem, but rather a symptom that's pointing to a problem. You have excess nutrients in your pond that the algae is consuming. Figure out and address THAT problem and the green water will clear on its own. Killing the floating algae only leaves you with a pond full of dead algae, which in turn feeds more algae.

Help us help you by sharing a bit more information.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like @MajorDan suggested, a bit more information about your pond would be helpful. How big is it? How many and what kind of fish? Do you have plants in the pond? What kind of filtration are you using? When you say "green water" are we talking single cell algae? Like pea soup green? Does it get caught in your filter media?

It's important to know that the green water is not in and of itself a problem, but rather a symptom that's pointing to a problem. You have excess nutrients in your pond that the algae is consuming. Figure out and address THAT problem and the green water will clear on its own. Killing the floating algae only leaves you with a pond full of dead algae, which in turn feeds more algae.

Help us help you by sharing a bit more information.
As i have said its a raised pond approx 8000L there are approx dozen fish mix of koi goldfish. A few plants in pond baskets incuding water lilly and oxyginating plants. The algae is free floating and water is very green. I added the bacteria which didnt help then i added the Hydra crystals which assisted a little in as much as the surface of pond is clearer. My water was tested only a few days ago and everything comes in spot in so im confident water is healthy. I haveca UV pond filter and pump which runs 24/7 and also a pond waterfall operating on a seperate pond pump

Reaction score
A UV light will always kill algae unless it's string algae (which doesn't cause the [pond to go green). Are you sure that the light is on? Is there a blue light or some other way to tell if the light is on. Even if it is on that doesn't mean that the bulb is any good or that the bulb is strong enough for the pond or that the water is going through the light slow enough for the bulb to have time to kill the algae.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A UV light will always kill algae unless it's string algae (which doesn't cause the [pond to go green). Are you sure that the light is on? Is there a blue light or some other way to tell if the light is on. Even if it is on that doesn't mean that the bulb is any good or that the bulb is strong enough for the pond or that the water is going through the light slow enough for the bulb to have time to kill the algae.
I think perhaps bulb may not be strong enuf. I may invest in second uv filter. Many thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want to go natural, send your water through a container of pea gravel and plants. Water coming up from the bottom and flowing out the top. A type of "bog" I only filter with a huge bog, no other filter, no uv light, no green water, no chemicals, minimal algae i.e. string. In fact I have seen none this year.

This is the five foot deep area, it is clear like this all the time it is running. (I do shut it off during the winter) On the bottom are trap door snails you can see, five feet down.
20160912_122713.jpg

Ask a Question