sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Her we have been in 70's and 80's and then down to 40's and 50's and even 30's with lots of wind blowing pollen around and lots of rain for a couple of days and then no rain for a week or two .It is going to be a weird summer .

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have worked so hard on this pond . It was real clear but now it's dark green and I hate it. I wish I could just get rid of it. It's 12x14 3ft deep and I'm using the biological filter it's a tub filled with sponges and pond batting. Does UV lights help any?
Bog is the best way to go. UV kills bacteria but it's the bacteria you need to convert the ammonia. I have over 200 goldfish in the same size pond, too many plants and breeding exploded, I don't have the heart to cull but my water is crystal, pond in full sun all day, I can see bugs crawling on the bottom. With a bog filter there's no more cleaning. I just need to keep the plant population down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here is how mine looks today. Fish seem great but the water is just murky. We had a humongous thunderstorm yesterday that dumped lots and lots of rain all at once. The plants are starting to grow more now that the temps are staying higher. I'm still hoping it will clear up. We'll see! This is the first year it's been this yucky.
IMG_8426.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here is how mine looks today. Fish seem great but the water is just murky. We had a humongous thunderstorm yesterday that dumped lots and lots of rain all at once. The plants are starting to grow more now that the temps are staying higher. I'm still hoping it will clear up. We'll see! This is the first year it's been this yucky.View attachment 129484
I’d take that. Your “yucky” would be awesome for me! I’m a week into a new bog and hope in a few weeks mine can be this clear.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have worked so hard on this pond . It was real clear but now it's dark green and I hate it. I wish I could just get rid of it. It's 12x14 3ft deep and I'm using the biological filter it's a tub filled with sponges and pond batting. Does UV lights help any?
I have a Claritek 10000 bio filter with UV light combined and the water is crystal clear. You have to keep it going for 24/7 for the bacteria to work and does its job. My pond is 32 years old and never had issues with algae and green water..

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Agree with GBBUDD and addy1.
Turn that tub into a mini bog filter. You will not regret it. You will be amazed at the results. I had green water all last year. It never cleared up, no matter what I did.
Nice one. I'm currently building a stone wall behind my bog, so nearly there, but was wondering with a little pooling on top of the gravel do you get mozzies breeding there? I'd like a little water to show.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice one. I'm currently building a stone wall behind my bog, so nearly there, but was wondering with a little pooling on top of the gravel do you get mozzies breeding there? I'd like a little water to show.
I have water above my gravel, never have seen and mozzies (mosquitoes) living up there. They like non moving water. All of my above the gravel water is moving.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mostly stone above the water line in my main bog but that water to is moving even though it's a pool of water the water moves through the stone i have never seen skeeters hanging around the water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know what a mozzie was! They haven't been that bad here in northeastern PA this year...yet! They're coming, I know for sure! Those blood suckers. I do everything I can to fight them. Feed the birds, I think they eat them and I even put up a bat house last year. One bat can eat like 1500 of them every night. No bats last year, maybe they'll come this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dragon flies are the mosquito champs

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hardly ever see them here, we have enough predators that snack on mosquitoes

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know what a mozzie was! They haven't been that bad here in northeastern PA this year...yet! They're coming, I know for sure! Those blood suckers. I do everything I can to fight them. Feed the birds, I think they eat them and I even put up a bat house last year. One bat can eat like 1500 of them every night. No bats last year, maybe they'll come this year.
Sorry about the Aussie slang haha/

Ask a Question