Green scale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha! Your 'green scale' isn't even close to the amount I have! ;)
In your first pictures I didn't see any water movement. My water fall and skimmer weren't providing enough water circulation and I added an air stone to the bottom of the pond. I feel it helped a lot with the water circulation and the clarity of the water.
Hiya
Lol you keep all yours, I do have a water fall and a hidden pipe circulates the water out of shot, both 40mm pipe running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds like a biofilm/periphyton layer that has been allowed to dry out. This typically resembles peeling paint.
Hi
In The deeper water it feels slimy but in the shallow water its looks n feels dry but doesn't peel like paint,when rubbed it goes to a cloud!!!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That is exactly how algae that has been dried out reacts. Has your pond been empty or low in water for any period of time in the recent past?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have used Pure Pond twice now and each time all the algae disappears for a couple of weeks. 100% safe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is exactly how algae that has been dried out reacts. Has your pond been empty or low in water for any period of time in the recent past?
Hiya
No that would make sense, but I am a bit anal about the water level and top it up each weekend even if dropped an inch, the hard stuff goes down 12-18in could this happen because pond in full sun and I did note water felt warm when this happened?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Darren,
I have something very similar in my pond, and I just leave it alone. It's a periphyton layer as Meyer describes and is beneficial. I think it dries out if the liner gets hot. My fish nibble away at it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Darren,
I have something very similar in my pond, and I just leave it alone. It's a periphyton layer as Meyer describes and is beneficial. I think it dries out if the liner gets hot. My fish nibble away at it.

I was just going to mention that. Algae species, like any other living organism, have temperature limits, high and low, beyond which they can not survive. Apparently in your case (and CeejayH) the specie of algae that grows on your liner during the fall, winter and spring months thrives at temperatures much lower than what you are experiencing this Summer. This is also supported by the fact that it is not occurring any deeper than 18" in your pond. The water beyond that depth is still cool enough for this algae specie to survive.You should see visible signs of a different algae specie already beginning to re-colonize the areas that have been affected.

Ask a Question