Had a couple of fun visitors yesterday!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We do occasionally see box turtles on the property and even more occasionally in/near the pond, but yesterday we had both a Shelly AND a Sheldon cooling off in the water!

First I found Shelly hanging out near the lizard tail.
turtles 01+.jpg

Later we discovered Sheldon chillin' at the base of the pickerel rush.
turtles 02+.jpg

Shelly relocated, climbing up the side of the waterfall & settling down for a relaxing spa-soak along the stream edge.
turtles 03+.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How neat! When you said 'visitors' I was afraid they were the bad kind until I read 'fun visitors'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have turtle escape ramps in a few of my ponds, so they can get out if they fall in. Long ago I found one drowned turtle, never again.
The pond has shallow shelves around the majority of its perimeter so they have no problem climbing out when they need to.
What impressed me was how she had to climb to get into the waterfall stream!
pond pics 03.jpg

Shelly started out under the patch of lizard tail in the foreground/right side. Then she must have swum across & climbed up that rocky slope on the left in order to get in the waterfall. Crazy, acrobatic turtle!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ones they got caught in were the stock tanks, flat walls. Each one has a ramp now for critters. The big pond saw one swimming and hanging out then it moved on. I have seen them in the bog also.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love them turts! Never get any here except for one red ear that must have escaped from a pond nearby. Found it up the road while walking one day. My friend keeps them so gave it to her.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Great pic and he looks happy to be cooling off.

I had a red eared slider turtle get into my pond last year. He tore up a bunch of plants and I was worried he might start eating my fish. It was a fight getting him out of there, and hopefully I don't get anymore. But I do see turtles in my yard yearly since I live not too far from a nice size lake.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't think box turtles liked to hang in the water. I thought they were strictly forest dwellers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didn't think box turtles liked to hang in the water. I thought they were strictly forest dwellers.
They use water to help regulate their temperature as well as for drinking, so while they don't technically *live* in water, they need a constant source readily available.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They use water to help regulate their temperature as well as for drinking, so while they don't technically *live* in water, they need a constant source readily available.
They lean over to drink, from the pond, and that is how they end up in some of my ponds , they fall in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yet to meet any turtle that was then again strap a Volkswagen to our backs and see how graceful we are

Ask a Question