Halloween and trick or treating, 2020 — what’s happening in your neck of the woods?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I am hoping the kids show up. Each year is different, sometimes there are a lot and some years not. If slow, they will all get a large handful for their buckets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is there an age limit for TorTrs where you guys live? I know we have it in my town but I have to ask my sons what it is
smdevil.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is there an age limit for TorTrs where you guys live? I know we have it in my town but I have to ask my sons what it is View attachment 134971

Really? Like an official age? Are you supposed to ask for ID? :LOL:

We've always had a policy at our door - if you're wearing a costume, I'll give you candy. And when the older kids show up with their pillow case and no costume, I see how creative they can get when I say "so what ARE you?" Give me a good answer and I'll toss some candy to you, too.

And honestly after the crap year these kids have had, I'd hand out candy to college students if they show up at my door. Who does it hurt, really?

We now have people posting on our village FB page asking what the "rule" are for Halloween - "how do I let people know we aren't participating?" Um... don't answer your door, just like always? Will we ever get back to people being able to THINK on their own without the government "keeping them same"?

@GBBUDD - I was being sarcastic in what the village board ACTUALLY said - but it came very close. They got wind of the fact that people were going to do it anyway so they decided to act like they were planning to "allow" it all along. When did Halloween become a government sanctioned activity?

Sorry - NOT a political rant. Just a commentary on our society that needs hand holding at every step of the way.

Here's my good news - we bought the FULL SIZED CANDY BARS! First 30 kids to the door get the big ones!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And honestly after the crap year these kids have had, I'd hand out candy to college students if they show up at my door. Who does it hurt, really?
AMEN
Will we ever get back to people being able to THINK on their own without the government "keeping them same"?
I swear everyone has gone back to wanting mommy and daddy to think for them put food on there table . tell them when to go to bed when to wake up where they can go and what they can do and for how long ............................... SERIOUSLY................ iI guess i am not the norm i Moved out from there wind the morning of my 18th b day never went back never asked for help.. it wasn't always easy but i worked harder and made it work .
Here's my good news - we bought the FULL SIZED CANDY BARS! First 30 kids to the door get the big ones!
LOVE IT

I think i need to set up my bungee and the spider setup and drop down at the doors of the town halls and wake up these WONDERFUL public servants ...yeah right public servants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is there an age limit for TorTrs where you guys live? I know we have it in my town but I have to ask my sons what it is View attachment 134971

There is no age limit at my house. I don't go by any age laws if there is one. Last night was our T or T. I had a woman in her 30's with painted on whiskers holding a cat wrapped in a blanket. She came by twice. Got the same amount as the young ones both times.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Way back as a kid, we would fill up our grocery bag/garbage bag, the paper ones, go home empty and go out again. I recall doing the empty at least 3 times if not more.

Then razor blades, needles starting showing up, parents would go through everything before we could touch it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Really? Like an official age? Are you supposed to ask for ID? :LOL:

I don't know the details, I go by what my 17yr old told me.
My other two sons went Tor Ting until their senior year, something not sure what changed after that
My town is weird, even when the carnival shows up, they have to close down everything by 9:00pm

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I don't know the details, I go by what my 17yr old told me.
My other two sons went Tor Ting until their senior year, something not sure what changed after that
My town is weird, even when the carnival shows up, they have to close down everything by 9:00pm
Close the carnival at nine!

That's like telling ariana, hey I know you wanna release your album at midnight but so the 5yrold can listen to you talk about inappropriate things, we gonna put it out at nine.

What is their reasoning for shutting it down so early?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Close the carnival at nine!

That's like telling ariana, hey I know you wanna release your album at midnight but so the 5yrold can listen to you talk about inappropriate things, we gonna put it out at nine.

What is their reasoning for shutting it down so early?
I have no idea!
smdunno.gif

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There's a house nearby that programs Halloween lights to music, so I went and checked it out tonight. It was nice, not as well done as the Christmas lights they always do, but I'm sure a lot of families have enjoyed it this year.

We've always had a policy at our door - if you're wearing a costume, I'll give you candy. And when the older kids show up with their pillow case and no costume, I see how creative they can get when I say "so what ARE you?" Give me a good answer and I'll toss some candy to you, too.

I think I was 14 the last time I went. I felt too old and called it quits.
A few years later I was by my grandma's house while she was handing out candy and two teenagers - maybe 16 or 17 years old - walked up. They were fully in costume. She gave them a bit of a hard time, but I remember thinking that they were probably having just as much fun as little kids were. There's still an innocence in all of us, no matter the age. Most of our childhood magic dies as we get older, but there are ways to still have fun with it. As long as people put effort into their costume, I don't care about how old they are. It's just fun to see people have fun and embrace the holiday.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
My son and two friends wanted to go and they were 15. I told them that the costume better be good so they built a UPS truck out of cardboard complete with the painted emblem There were dowels across the width so they could hold it up and walk down the road. It even had working head and taillights and the bags for candy were inside of the hood when they pulled the string to open it. That one got everyones attention. I have a picture around somewhere. If i find it i will post.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There's a house nearby that programs Halloween lights to music, so I went and checked it out tonight. It was nice, not as well done as the Christmas lights they always do, but I'm sure a lot of families have enjoyed it this year.

Did you have to cross the border to see that @JBtheExplorer ? There's a house near me that does the same thing.

Ask a Question