Hamstermann's pond build

Reaction score
i have that flat style for my pool, provided by the pool installer. my first one tore before the first summer was out and i'm on the second one now. the first tore when i first powered on the pump to backwash the pool filter and it wasn't completely straight (so it was enough of a kink that the pressure overpowered the seam). However, it had been out all summer, not protected from the sun or elements, etc. Also, annoying to roll up.

If you go with that variety, i would go with something thicker/more durable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have that flat style for my pool, provided by the pool installer. my first one tore before the first summer was out and i'm on the second one now. the first tore when i first powered on the pump to backwash the pool filter and it wasn't completely straight (so it was enough of a kink that the pressure overpowered the seam). However, it had been out all summer, not protected from the sun or elements, etc. Also, annoying to roll up.

If you go with that variety, i would go with something thicker/more durable.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are a bit of work they collapse and kink thus stopping flow If not strong. And when the flow stops it has to be lifted to empty. I don't know what pump you bought but I would get a fence and make your 25 foot hose fit to a pvc pipe and direct the water that way. You don't need a pump that does 500 gph you only need one that will push the water out a garden hose.

I'd bet your hippo is a pocket of air

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are a bit of work they collapse and kink thus stopping flow If not strong. And when the flow stops it has to be lifted to empty.
Do you mean the roll-up ones?

I don't know what pump you bought but I would get a fence
I have Vinyl fences between me and both neighbors, but the water goes under them if I get too much in that area.

make your 25 foot hose fit to a pvc pipe and direct the water that way.
Oh, I like that Idea. I wonder if the end of the pool vacuum hose that I have will fit in a 1.5" PVC pipe? That may be worth trying. Thanks!

I'd bet your hippo is a pocket of air
I sure hope so! That would be the best news! No more rain predicted the rest of the week, so maybe once I drain things out I can remove the tarps and dig. We'll see what things look like. Here's hoping!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you mean the roll-up ones? YES

I have Vinyl fences between me and both neighbors, but the water goes under them if I get too much in that area. Your GOING TO NEED A BIT OF 2 INCH PVC . RUN THE PUMP TO YOUR DRIVEWAY LET IT GO DOWN THE STREET

Oh, I like that Idea. I wonder if the end of the pool vacuum hose that I have will fit in a 1.5" PVC pipe? That may be worth trying. Thanks! GET WHAT IS CALLED A "FERN CO " I WOULD USE 2" ON ALL PLUMBIING THAT WAY IF YOU WANT OR NEED TO INCREASE FLOW LATTER YOU HAVE 2" PIPE . I DOUBT YOULL DESIGN WHERE YOU'LL GO WITH 3" FLOW

I sure hope so! That would be the best news! No more rain predicted the rest of the week, so maybe once I drain things out I can remove the tarps and dig. We'll see what things look like. Here's hoping! OH YOU HAVE SOME WATER UNDER THE TARP YOULL GET THE HANG OF HOW TO KEEP IT DRY. THE BIG PLUS IS YOUR WALLS ARE NOT SOAKED AND COLAPSING.

Reaction score
Country
United States
True. The walls seem to stay vertical. And your comment about only needing a garden hose reminded me that I have a hose adapter fitting for the pump, so I switched that out, hooked up the garden hose, and successfully drained everything onto my back lawn. yay!!

I'll give it until tomorrow after work to get Thur last few puddles evaporated before pulling back the tarps and then maybe a couple more days for the mud to dry out and then hopefully I can dig on Saturday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Set up the pump to run and empty the pond in a low spot don't let it build up and fill the excavations bottom with water . There is a big difference between saturated clay compared to a little water running across it to a deep spot and being pumped away.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Y'all. 10 tons of dirt. 10. TONS. Of dirt moved from my yard today by friends from church, me, and my boys. The pile is gone and I have access to move sprinkler lines. That's incredible. I can't believe how much we got done today.

IMG_20240511_114743.jpg

True, I could've done it cheaper in 5 pickup truck loads but the dump trailer and one friend's diesel made things so much faster, not to mention all the people and having 4 wheelbarrows to move it with.

10 tons, gone in about 2 hours. I'm just amazed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought some ABS Corrugated pipe the other day for my Fish Caves, Snorkle, and centipede. I forgot to ask about a cap while I was up there though - What are the caps for 12" ABS pipe called? I can't seem to find any when I google "12 inch ABS pipe cap".

How/where did you get yours, @combatwombat ? I'd rather buy online and have it delivered than have to take time off work to go to a different city where I bought the pipe a few days ago.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I remembered that the place I bought it said it was ADS not ABS and tried those search terms.
1715884434916.png

These prices are ridiculous. Maybe I'll just slap a rock or flagstone over the pipe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ADS IS A FAR CRY FROM ABS CRUSH THE END AND SCREW IT TOGETHER OR DRILL A QUICK HOLE AND USE A TIP TIE TO HOLD IT CLOSED sorry for caps There will be a 12" end cap somewhere

Last edited:

Ask a Question