Hardware Store Waterlillies

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have a bad habit of learning things the hard way. The last two water lillies that I purchased two months ago were both from Lowes. They come in the fancy decorated little box that doesn't allow you to see what's inside, just a picture of what it should some day look like.

I potted them both per the book, and after all this time, nothing! I took the baskets out of the water, and the lilly root looked like jelly. They both had rotted. Of course I didn't save the receipts. From now on I will only buy from the local pond guy, and actually see what I'm taking home. It will cost more, but worth it.

Reaction score
I ordered some various lilies from a pond supply store on-line, they came bare root and have done fantastic. I think I paid 8 dollars for them last year, their choice of colors. I got white with yellow centers and yellow. I think the site was called Muddy waters, or something similar if you want to check them out.

Reaction score
Take it back to Lowes and get a store credit. I just returned 3 $100 palms that were supposed to be "Cold Hardy", they didn't make it through our winter. I bought them in July of last year. No questions asked, $300+ in my wallet to spend on fish.......

Ask a Question