hardy lily over winter

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My yard is planted with things that were bought off the reduced racks of local stores. My favorite time is the day after Easter. Lots of lilies, azeleas & hydrangeas for as little as $1.
Still hoping the lotus I started from seed last year made it thru the winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haunt the tlc racks at nurseries and stores, nearly dead plants for almost no money. They all survive and look great in just a little time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've done that too and got some nice Knockout rose bushes that had powdery mildew when I bought them and just mixed some baking soda w/ water and sprayed on and no more mildew and roses are growing and beautiful :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got a whole patch of knockout roses, love them. used to have the "real" roses, but the beetles etc make them a pain to keep going.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DrDave said:
Thats a great tip JW! I'll tell my wife about it. She has about 15 rosebushes.

The recipe for that mildew concoction is from a gardener guy on the radio (Cisco Morris) and here it is:

To one quart water add 2 tsp baking soda and a couple drops of mild dishwashing liquid, like Ivory or Dawn or what have you. Mix it up in a spray bottle and just spray it all over whatever has the powdery mildew on it. You may have to do it a couple times and that's it. If a plant is a trouble maker getting it now and then you will have to spray off and on when you see the mildew. You don't have to use the soap if you don't want to, it just makes it stick on there a bit better :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
The recipe for that mildew concoction is from a gardener guy on the radio (Cisco Morris) and here it is:

To one quart water add 2 tsp baking soda and a couple drops of mild dishwashing liquid, like Ivory or Dawn or what have you. Mix it up in a spray bottle and just spray it all over whatever has the powdery mildew on it. You may have to do it a couple times and that's it. If a plant is a trouble maker getting it now and then you will have to spray off and on when you see the mildew. You don't have to use the soap if you don't want to, it just makes it stick on there a bit better :cool:

adding soap to bug spray helps too. Great to know jw thanks

Reaction score
yeah that would be a good idea, but the whole problem with getting water plants on sale is that because we don't really get summer pond weather until mid may to early june so there are no plants for sale until then and we get winter weather as soon as mid to end of september, i don't know if that would be long enought to go and get a tlc section water plant and nurse it back to health and still have enough time for it to grow large...but it is a really great idea so i will keep it in mind.
thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yeppers, soap is cheap and helps pretty much any remedy stick to the plants or bugs. Thanks for adding that Addy :cool:

Reaction score
oh and thanks alot J.W we have a few large rose bushes outside that seem to be having some mildew probelms, i will try your method for sure

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Talal, mostly I just pick up the tlc perennial plants for around my yard and it doesn't get too awful cold here for most of the winter so we can plant here whenever the ground is not frozen which is most all of the time. I've gotten all my pond plants from people on a forum I used to visit. They would sell them pretty cheap or send just for postage. Others I've had to buy from pond plant seller web-sites. Some of them, once you get them they multiply really nicely and then you will be sending them to others or trading w/ each other. Don't know if anyone does that here or not?
Also if you go on to freecycle.org you can offer free plants or ask for free plants. Everything is free on there. I've gotten free goldfish on there also. They have everything on that site but you have to be fast if you see an offer you want. If you are asking for something it is much easier if someone has what you are looking for. I've given away plants, palm trees, clothes, and right now I'm giving away a Plecostomus fish. They have to come get whatever they want tho. There is a local freecycle for each area in your city.

Reaction score
yeah i think i might have to order some online if the only place near the city doesn't have anything intresting this year...they charge some monsterous prices on some of their plants so i hope it goes better with their pond plants...i will stop by at that store and check out what they have later this year and see...do you guys have any websites that seel their plants for good prices and ship to canada?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know about Canada since I am here in the states, sorry :cool:
Somebody here might know from around where you live hopefully otherwise you will just have to do a search and check out the reviews of people who have bought from them to be safe.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
give me a year of pond growth and i will send you some...............

Mine are all babies this year.

Ask a Question