Having a bad day.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I wouldn't push the issue to much on the stairs. most dogs don't like stairs a lot anyway. If he is still sore or his hips are weak it could be another reason he avoids them. We had a dog years ago that wouldn't climb the stairs up at all, he would come down them no problem but not go up. so glad to hear Reese is up and moving and getting better. that's good news! Endy is not doing great but hanging in there. she has good days and bad. it seems like the meds are helping, no more big seizures but I can tell that she is still having smaller ones. she gets off balance, and gets really glazed eyes and drools right after a seizure. She has become 3-4 times more affectionate than she was and now is starting to eat like crazy. she never was much of a eater and stayed very stable in weight. now she wants to eat everything! be curious to see how much weight she gained when we go back for tests next week. It's funny, we ask her if she needs her fix and she'll come up and take the pill no problem, then we ask her if she has the munchies, If we don't give her a treat she goes and runs the cat off from her food bowl and gets her food. We have had to move the cat food up onto the washer and dryer to keep Endy out of it. I'm going to end up with a skinny cat and a fat dog instead of the other way around if this keeps up. glad to here Reese is doing better, :D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Must be the meds that are making her hungry. Maybe the vet will have some ideas on how to control her eating w/o making her too upset. If she still gets plenty of exercise she may not get fat. Hope she gets to feeling better as time goes on. I guess those seizures can really zap the strength outta you.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No doubt it's the meds. it won't her a bit to put on a few pounds. JW, it's funny you would think it would zap the strength from her but actually she can get pretty active and runs alot after one. almost like she is releived that it's over once one passes. then after about 30 minutes she settles down and usually falls to sleep under my feet while I'm on the computer. 90% of the time if she isn't playing or running I can find her within 5 feet of me and most of the time it's closer than that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well a skinny cat and a fat dog would make it hard to get out of there way as the cat will get faster and the dog will get slower .The cat climbs you at full speed while you trip over the dog fishin ,not so good either way LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Blessed I just read this whole thread! What a wonderful person you are for taking on such a huge undertaking for Reece. I am very blessed to have a wonderful vet. He has been a vet for probably 30 years, and is the best. He has so many types of animals himself (horses, pygmy goats, ducks, chickens, rabbits, dogs, cats, ...) that he knows how they all work. There are no other vets in my area that know as much about goats as he does, and other animals as well. When you get a good vet, you stick with it for sure! I'm a friend to my vet, not a paycheck. :)
Larkin, we used to raise rat terriers, and then the male started having seizures. At that time, I'd never heard of a dog having seizures. The vet just said to watch him so he would not hurt himself stumbling around, but otherwise not to worry. That being said, my brother had 2 seizures within 3 months of each other and believe it or not, the doctor said the seizures are NOT the problem. The danger is what happens to the individual when they have the seizure and how dangerous their surroundings can be. Of course, my brother is on anti-seizure medicine, He's back to driving again, and has been seizure free for over 9 months now. I hope Endy gets stabilized on her meds. It was a difficult thing to get my brother stabilized, so I can only imagine a dog or cat. Keep up with it and eventually they will find the right amount and right meds to keep the seizures at bay.
Blessed, I will pray for a speedy recovery for your Reece. Border Collies are very active dogs, so eventually he will be running circles around your house. If you don't get to keep him, I hope someone will adopt him (you mentioned a friend) that knows how much time and money and heart you have put into him thus far. Good luck!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Larkin, that's good if she is active even w/having the seizures. Maybe she won't get too fat. A friend told me today that her kitten had a seizure yesterday. It fell off her bed and she doesn't know if it had the seizure cuz it hit it's head from falling or it fell off cuz it had a seizure. Vet said to just watch it and see if it has another one. Said sometimes they only have one and could be from growing pains............never heard of that one but I suppose anything is possible. I had one when I was 3 from a high temp. My mom took me to a baby pageant contest of some sort and that's where I had it. I guess I showed her that that was not my style and I was gonna be a tom boy not a froo froo little girl,lol. Turned out a I had a high fever and had to have my tonsils removed.

Reaction score
Hello everyone..Reese is still doing great but I have to find him a home ASAP because my son's allergies are acting up and the doctor said it could be Reese's hair as we have short haired dogs and they do not seem to bother in as much as Reese's hair. I have contacted 2 border Collie rescues,midwest and another one for Indiana but the process seems slow or I do not get any response after filling out the surrender form. We talked about keeping him because I do love the little guy but then my son's allergies started so that made that decision for us :( I have been trying to get him to slowly run to work his legs and he loves it as he is becoming way more active(the Border Collie is coming out!). He will go down the steps but not up them and I do think maybe he forgot or is scared as he will not jump up on the couch either. He is going to make someone a very nice,spoiled dog if I can find that perfect home,one who loves him as much as I do and will take him no matter what his future holds(health wise), I was very excited I talked my husband into keeping him but God has other plans in store for him it seems. Please pray that I can find him the perfect home as this is going to be very hard for me. Thanks for your prayers and suggestions. Amber

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's great that Reese is doing so much better now. Sorry you can't keep him especially after all that you've gone through together. You might let your vet know that he needs a home and if they have a bulletin board you could put up his story and maybe someone who has lost a beloved pet will see it and want to check him out. Try other vet's offices also for bulletin boards and ask if they know any other places to find a good home. Just make sure you check each person out good. I'll be praying he gets a good home and if close by, maybe you can visit or if not close you can keep in touch w/ the people somehow to see how he's doing.

frisbee_dog.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have a sight on the internet where you post the dog you want to find a home for with pics and seems people look at it all the time just google it .I have to remember what it was ,they ask for a pic too

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
one is rescue me and the other is pet finder maybe you can go to these sights or maybe even your local paper for help do you have an angels of assisi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Blessed, as you said, God has another plan for Reese. It's amazing to me all the time, effort and money you have expended on that little guy to get him to where he is today. It will take a very special person indeed to take over his life! It will be very difficult for you, I'm positive, but hopefully you will fall in love with the people that adopt him as well! I think if anyone knew the effort you went through to get him to where he is today, they would know that he is one special dog! And, knowing his story, and his medical issues, will keep most people away, and only the special kind-hearted people like you will even think of responding. I think he will find a very special home, and I hope you find someone soon, only for your son's sake. I'm also allergic to dogs (and horses LOL), but I do not allow them in my bedroom. I know I should not have my Boston's in the house, but they are only inside in the evenings. They go outside during the day and now that it's getting colder, they will be inside just to be played with in the evening, and outside all other times. They have a heated mat in their dog house, which is inside an insulated small shed, so they stay nice and cozy.
Good luck! Thinking about you and your family, and praying that perfect match will show up to adopt your brave little man. :razz:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Glad to hear the good status on Reese, Hate to hear the bad news but I too have been through that. Not with a dog (I'm highly allergic to Cockatoo's and cockateil's fether dust) I hope you can locate him the perfect home, I know he needs special care and help but he's been through so much I hope you can find him a stable/well loved home. I do wish you the best of luck in finding him a good home quickly. If we were closer I would consider helping but right now getting ready to start trying to get ready for the move I'm really not wanting any new animals until we get situated. BTW, Quick Update on Endy, she's doing much better, only very small seizures and only one every three of four days now. Not the bad ones, these cause her to drool and shake a little then she will be skidish for a bit but she fully aware during them and far better than the Grand ones she was having.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonderful news Larkin! Hope she keeps improving as time goes on. Nice thing to be thankful for!

Reaction score
I'm so glad that Reese is doing better and I hope you find him a great home that deserves him. I've been thinking of everyone on the forum, but haven't been on in awhile. Everything is great with me and my family. The Koi are sleeping for the winter and I've ventured off into Angelfish world for the Winter.
God Bless and I'll be popping in from time to time.... :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice to see you baeya and I love Angel Fish and how they look so pretty gliding through the water.

angfs.gif

Ask a Question