Head scratching ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody
I've lost 3 Fish in the space of about a Month, no signs of disease or anything untoward. The water has been tested and everything is fine in that way. But the only thing I can't test is the Oxygen level but I have 2 Air stones plus the waterfall that drops about 3 feet so I would have thought this was adequate in a 1000- 1500 ltr Pond, by the way i'm not a Newbie, Pond been up and running for 13 Years . Any ideas people , Help !!

Reaction score
Country
United States
How old are the fish? Maybe old age if they are original to your pond.

Any chance of some kind of chemical running into your pond or did you do any algae treatment?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What type of fish, size, how many total? New additions-fish or plants? Have heard some reports of birds bringing pathogens into a pond. What levels have you tested? Nitrates? Trying to get a sense of your system. I would agree, does not sound like O2 an issue. Pics might help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Please check your pH at dawn and at dusk, or as close to those times as possible. If there is a large difference in those numbers, you have pH swings that can kill the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Thank you for your replies. In the pond most are 4" a couple at 8" Two at 12" and One at 15" 25 in total , Please don't tell me it's over stocked as previously I had 20 fish 3 at 19" a few at 15" and the rest made up of 6" which lived quite happily until I was wiped out by an Otter over 2 Nights last Year. I am almost certain there is nothing seeping in as it is slightly raised and the liner is above that. Most of the Fish are Koi , smaller ones are mainly Goldfish . The test I do are Nitrite, Ammonia and P.H Thank you all for reading

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So 396 gals is what your pond size is? I think you just got lucky they all survived for 13 yrs! Can you show us your actual test #'s? I'm sorry you are going through all of this. Perhaps there are other tests that someone can recommend to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So 396 gals is what your pond size is? I think you just got lucky they all survived for 13 yrs! Can you show us your actual test #'s? I'm sorry you are going through all of this. Perhaps there are other tests that someone can recommend to do?
Hi
I don't understand your request to show you the actual Test ??

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi
I don't understand your request to show you the actual Test ??
Do your tests and take photo's of the test results to show us. Put the vial of liquid up to the color thingies to show us the color results.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok I won't say your over stocked but i will say that s the size by comparison to a jail cell a pond like that should be home to nothing larger than gold fish at 6" my two pence

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It will be quite a challenge to manage a pond that size with that much fish waste. Without a necropsy of the dead fish, we’re all just guessing. More information and photos, as requested above, would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do your tests and take photo's of the test results to show us. Put the vial of liquid up to the color thingies to show us the color results.
Hi
I worked in the Chemical Industry for 32 Years and part of that job was working in the Lab doing far more intricate testing than checking my pond water. Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi
I worked in the Chemical Industry for 32 Years and part of that job was working in the Lab doing far more intricate testing than checking my pond water. Thanks
Just trying to help, no foul intended :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It will be quite a challenge to manage a pond that size with that much fish waste. Without a necropsy of the dead fish, we’re all just guessing. More information and photos, as requested above, would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Pond is approx 18x10 feet wide and Depth is 3 foot deep

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 17

Ask a Question