Hello from Central NC

Firediver57

Firediver 57
Reaction score
Hi my name is Carmine and my wife, Wendy and I love our garden space. It is not huge - only one and a half acre. We have a beautiful pond that is 17 X 35 and is 5' deep at the max. We enjoy a nice glass of wine in the evenings watching our Koi swim about. We have had most of them for over 15 years and several are in excess of 30 inches. We have our grandkids over all the time. They even swim with the Koi and the Koi swim with them. I am a career firefighter and my wife and I both volunteer in fire/rescue/EMS/dive rescue areas with several agencies. My wife does this despite having had two strokes. We love helping neighbors do new things with their gardens and I do some odd projects. did you know that a satelite dish makes an awesome garden gazebo. We have an outdoor dining area with a 12 foot gazebo and chandelier covered in graped vines and another sitting area that is covered in wisteria. Both are beautiful. I have a project I am doing right now to put a pond in an area of our local nursing home. The residents aren't allowed to leave the secure area of the building due to various illnesses but have the inside area to go to. We are going to put a pond with large acrylic panels that the residnets can see the Koi through. You can see the project on Facebook under Koi Pond for Mary Gran Seniors. Thats kind of what we do and who we are. Hope to talk to you soon.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I have seen several of those old satelite dishes done like that but all i have is the little ones that make great bird baths .I think a pond would be great for a senior center .When dad was in the 1 in Danville Va they had a huge fish pond with bridges that you would see the residents go out and sit by .It was more a rehab center than a nursing home .Gave them a reason to want to move around .

Firediver57

Firediver 57
Reaction score
Usually when I want to do a new project I go around and see who has one up in their yard still. Most are more than happy to be rid of it. They aren't hard to get down and easy to refurb. Four 4X4 treated posts and you are done. The chandeliers can be bought at any Lowes or Home Depot. We are working really hard on the Nursing home pond. Check out the video on www.indiegogo.com about it. Look up Koi Pond for Mary Gran Seniors. If you like the plans and pictures help spread the word. It is a crowd fundraising site.Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
3d_text_6.gif

to our group! Glad you joined

Will love to follow along on your project.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got 3 of the small dish ones so more bird baths to make .The wood for the out house shed and my people made from scraps leftover from front porch build
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52783]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:48561]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:43377]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:36315]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:36314]

Ask a Question