Hello from Memphis

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This year when it was a 100 degree plus my pond got up to 92-93 degrees and it is 3' deep all below ground. I would imagine what you have pictured would get really warm since it would be above ground and metal at that so you will probably get hotter than mine. I am not an expert with fish and the amount of heat they can take but would think that if it gets that hot this would have an adverse effect on them. You could construct a shade structure that would keep the sun off of it and that would really help.

Going back to your heater question you could probably run the heater and possibly keep your pump running most of the year, depending on the type of pump and set up you have.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the Forum !!
Were almost neighbors 90 mi away
My above ground pond does fine,

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You may want a shade cloth over it in the summer to keep the heat down in the pond.

welcome-1-1-1.gif

welcome to the group

Reaction score
Where I have an idea that I want to put it, after high noon there is shade. However I also harvest clipping from my water-sprite to sell to my LFS. So I have a little 20gal dirted tank (pic attached) but man, fighting the algae is a never ending battle. I gave up.

But again when I would play with the tank, the water felt awfully warm. Maybe if there was more circulation and cool water replacing the warm that might be something to look into..

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 200

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In addition to your pump and filter I would look at adding an aerator or air stone this would help keep the water circulating as well.

Reaction score
For sure, being from the aquarium side knowing aeration and circulation are very important.

While thinking overnight, my delima was where to put the Filter/return and external equip. Where I am planning up putting this butts up beside my built in storage room that also has my power source. Over the weekend I will snap some pics of the desired area along with the storage room.

On a side note when we tore down our brick wall in the backyard (replaced with a screened in patio we saved the bricks. This might be something I can also utilize if the whole water trough doesn't fit the bill.

guys/gals its been a pleaseure speaking with you and bumping ideas. Any pointers and tips are greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I was wondering, is there a general diagram of how the filter, return, Inlet..all work? Bascially the plumbing of a pond. Again from my aquarium experiance I want 2x or 3x the filtration of the pond size ( 250 gal I want filtration that will handle up for 500-700gals. I have always learned you can never have enough filtration.

Reaction score
LoL my son won a few football games there, you all had a great band back then

I might live in Marion but I am born and Breed West Memphis..Marion Football is a JOKE hahaha, I love the Marion vs West Memphis game...its always a KILLIN hahaha

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was wondering, is there a general diagram of how the filter, return, Inlet..all work? Bascially the plumbing of a pond. Again from my aquarium experiance I want 2x or 3x the filtration of the pond size ( 250 gal I want filtration that will handle up for 500-700gals. I have always learned you can never have enough filtration.

Take a look at some of the construction, diy threads there is a lot of good info on how to set a pond up. Also do some searches on pond building it will give you good diagrams for setting up a pond. I am on the wrong computer, or could post some good links. lol

Ask a Question