hello from new orleans

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by thematt311, Mar 8, 2012.

1. thematt311

thematt311

GOOD CALL

thematt311, Mar 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. thematt311

thematt311

Update added filter media from 100 gallon aquarium to my filter to has been full of water for about 3 days now added some plants and the fish from my pool will give them to the fish store in about a week about 30 or so comet gold fish one perch a few minnows and one African cichlid have koi inside in my holding tank for the time being two domestic and 4 imported butterfly fin koi from Japan still letting pond liner settle before folding and adding rock I'll glue liner to tree using plumber glue kinda like tile glue but better so yea that's where I'm at pool is crystal clear now and I have a huge bass n my 100 gallon tank till he goes back in the ocean

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thematt311, Mar 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. thematt311

thematt311

So stone bottom koi pond is a bad idea so I'm gonna have to get them out or I'll have a bunch of funk even with my powerhead I have to add circulation any info on bottom rock would help what I read says take it out whats yalls personal experience with gravel stone bottoms With koi

thematt311, Mar 20, 2012
  4. thematt311

j.w I Love my Goldies

Bare bottoms work best for me! No fuss, no muss, no gunk, no funk! You just take your long handled net once in awhile and swoop away on that smooth bottom and pull out the funky gunky junk in two shakes of a lambs tail! And voila you are done. Do some partial water changes now and then and clean out your filter and feed your happy fishes and then grab yourself a glass of whatever you prefer and sit and enjoy your lovely pond buddies in the shade of the old Cranberry tree! Is there such a thing as a Cranberry tree?

j.w, Mar 20, 2012
  5. thematt311

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

The rocks / gravel just disappear with time, pond debris covers it up

addy1, Mar 20, 2012
  6. thematt311

thematt311

I removed 70% of the rocks the rest are surrounding my pre filter and others in pots with plants but for the most part I can remove the rest with water changes I'm going today to collect plants any quarantine advice I was gonna clean off then take home put them In separate bin maybe with some salinity to kill any unwanted parasites etc. As always thanks for the advice and keep it coming cycle time water turnover rate placement of return chime in on anything u can thank of will post pics of it now look down

thematt311, Mar 20, 2012
  7. thematt311

sissy sissy

I soak them in peroxide and some solar salt and clean them for at least to weeks or more ,better safe than sorry .Even if I buy them at a garden center .Get the roots and the backs of any leaves really clean

sissy, Mar 20, 2012
  8. thematt311

thematt311

[​IMG]
    Hoping the water will clear up when it's done cycling

thematt311, Mar 20, 2012
  9. thematt311

thematt311

What salinity and I don't know wht solar salt so I'm guessing reef salt will be fine in small amounts should I salt my pond to kill any bad parasites I feel like I might of added some with the gold fish I added

thematt311, Mar 20, 2012
  10. thematt311

j.w I Love my Goldies

Water looks pretty clear now to me and I can see the fishies!

j.w, Mar 20, 2012
  11. thematt311

sissy sissy

solar salt is the same as pond salt and you put that in according to how much water you have in the pond .You can buy a salinity meter but they are not cheap .

sissy, Mar 20, 2012
  12. thematt311

thematt311

I have a hydrometer from my reef tank I can get my ppms dead on yea the water is clerish I have mega over kill filtration I always over clean because my girl loves to over feed I'ma post a pic of my reef so y'all can see my reef skillz with a z.

thematt311, Mar 20, 2012
  13. thematt311

thematt311

My reef old pic about 300$ worth of coral ago.
    [​IMG]

thematt311, Mar 20, 2012
  14. thematt311

thematt311

Reef filter
    [​IMG]
    With more rock and coral
    [​IMG]D

thematt311, Mar 20, 2012
  15. thematt311

j.w I Love my Goldies

Very pretty..............are there any fish in that last photo cuz if there is I can't find them.............oh wait I think I see maybe a striped one towards the left front there and an oj one too w/ a couple spots on him.

j.w, Mar 21, 2012
  16. thematt311

thematt311

I think they were hiding I have 4 clowns a watchman gobie and a green mandarin dragonet shrimp crabs snails but it mainly a reef don't wanna put fish n my fish tank and get my coral agro. Well I collect some reeds some white plant and hydrangeas I'll post pics cus I can't spell em some I just picked because they were aquatic and looked amazing with white flowers wanted to get Louisisana iris but they are all so small right now they are hard to spot will wait till they are blooming so I can get alota diffrent colors they have thousands of them witting 10 miles of my house in all directions so id rather pick them the. Pay 15 for tiny ones at the plant pond store.

thematt311, Mar 22, 2012
  17. thematt311

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Welcome aboard fellow Louisianian. Matt use caution if you are still planning on putting a cypress knew in your pond, If you are I don't recommend a fresh cut one at all. If you use one use one that has weathered for several months as they do do leach some. Glad to see you removed most of the rocks from the bottom, they look great at first but as time goes by they usually cause more problems than they are worth. Be sure and check out American water gardens on elysian fields. Great place to get good plants and neat ideas for the water garden. They just don't sell fish. If you want fish and plants Harbs oasis in Baton Rouge is another great store to check out for pond plants and water gardens.

fishin4cars, Mar 22, 2012
  18. thematt311

thematt311

Thank you I went to American aquatics prices are very steep I paid 40$ at the rose garden center for a Lilly tht was bigger then the exact ones at American aquatics for 60$ same supplier label and all but it is beautiful place for sure the gf loved it also we collected quite a bit from the spill way in norco all very nice still waiting on my beautiful louisiana iris to bloom my mom got them like 3 years ago n my yard is full of em also I got some nice in water plants I'm currently qt in a rubbermaid will be n their for a while. Where can I get decent koi under 4 inches for 3-7$ . In destrrhan she has very nice butterfly for 4.99 I got four but I wanna get other types from other places not so much petco.

thematt311, Mar 22, 2012
  19. thematt311

thematt311

Yea the knee is out not enough space but will put some around it n the garden but not n best laid plant right lmao I'ma check ur pond out any build thread on here?

thematt311, Mar 22, 2012
  20. thematt311

thematt311

Updated pics still not finished moved the filter back added more lava Rock and another polyfilter and added plants in and around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thematt311, Mar 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question