hello from new orleans

Reaction score
hello my names matt im from louisiana and im currently in the process of building a swamp style/theme pond. mosquitoes is how this all started a few months back our pool pump went out so nbd wel will get a new one when it warms back up. well after about a month of hard rain all chemicals were washed out of the pool. and soon after mosquitoes started laying eggs and growing to adulthood rather than keep dumping chemicals in we threw a few gold fish in to eat the larva of the flys thoose 3 live and grew crazy fast and we threw a few more. Well now its time to drain the pool and clean up so where are theese now very big pretty fish to go? well ill build a pond so thats where im at. Its in my garden behind my pool right up against my cypress tree just like in the swamp. and thats as far as i got questions advice all welcome and askin for advice also. whats the best liner for the price how do i seal the side of my tree to now suck my pond dry or put to much tree oil etc n my pond im lookin for a spray or clear coat? the pond is 10 ft by 8 ft and from 2 ft to 4 at its deepest.

Attachments

• pond pics 156.JPG
    pond pics 156.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 296
  • pond pics 160.JPG
    pond pics 160.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 321

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will be using a liner, so you don't need to seal the tree trunk. The liner is what will keep the water in.

welcomewagon-15.gif
to our group

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I have a dawn redwood that is growing next to my creek with no problems, been there for 7 years. I have a liner as well.

Reaction score
thanks yall but the way a cypress is actually adapted to swamp life so i dont wanna cover much of the trunk if any maybe atleast 5 inches of trunk showing would be awsome. ill send a pic of right now i started yesterday at about 10 am

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe I am a little confused. So is the pond going to be built around the cypress tree to appear as though it is in the pond? In your pic with the white outline is this where you are going to build the pond, It doesn't look like a 10x8 area?

Reaction score
so after i cut the roots and clean up the sides ill be laying down tht blue stuff then carpet then i guess pond liner but plans change when better info is mad avaiable so give me some if u got it thanks for looking ill get an exact measurement for you thatherman.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I bought my liner online and then picked up locally b/c they are located here so did not have to pay for shipping, that was 8 years ago. I use epdm liner 45ml. Something else to consider is raising the front side a bit so that the chlorine from the pool that may be on the pool patio will not run into the pond.

http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/pond_liner_10.asp

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Blinkiewelcome.gif
Matt
You can also look for liners at roofing/construction companies in your local area. It's the same EPDM rubber liner made of the same stuff from a pond store. I have bought 2 of them so far and just fine for 10yrs. Never tried to put a liner right up over a tree like that. Hope it won't hurt the tree.

Reaction score
its a cypress so the tree will be fine about the water ive decided to just go with pond liner around the trunk. also ill be getting some knees from the swamp one big two smaller and aet them in for effect you wont be confused tommarrow i should have my liner pre liner in probably gonna go with fema roof tarp then thin commerical carpet i use at my rentals then ill feel okay about putting final liner. i actually joined this forum to hear tht they do sell the same stuff for other applications thank u jw

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome matt and when you get done that will look nice from the pool .

Ask a Question