j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What you've done looks very nice matt and I like the driftwood look also! Looks like you have a palm tree growing near your pond. I love palms. I've got a small one growing near my pond and it's a cold hardy one cuz that's the only kind that will live here through our winters.

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hi Matt. Welcome to GPF. Your pond is looking good. Don't worry about the green water. It will go away. Maybe we can get together some time. We're less than an hour away in Thibodaux.

Reaction score
Yea I'm doing my best on it this algae bloom is killing me slowly but I'm trying to wait it out but I'll probbly get a Beckett uv from home depot 60$ see what happens alotta my friends n reeding have used uv sterilizers rated for thousands of gallons like a 25 watt for 6 needs a bulb and a 18 watt for 50$ but it needs a light the lights for them re 65 so I'ma go the home d route but yea id love to see your pond see a nice cycled pond n person cus mine is driving me.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Matt, Best places in the New Orleans are Rose Garden by the tunnel and Jefferson Feed by Hughy P Long bridge. for Koi. If your willing to travel Steeping stones in Pumpkin Center has some really nice koi for great prices but that's all he sells except a few goldfish and limited pond supplies. Another place to check is exotic fish Bowl on Terry parkway. In the past he's gotten some really nice small koi but he'll charge you a arm and both your legs for large ones. lol Pond is looking really good! I should be updating my pond build this weekend. The old pond is doing great just all the fish are waiting to move to the new home. We should have at least one up and running this next week. or
Thank you I went to American aquatics prices are very steep I paid 40$ at the rose garden center for a Lilly tht was bigger then the exact ones at American aquatics for 60$ same supplier label and all but it is beautiful place for sure the gf loved it also we collected quite a bit from the spill way in norco all very nice still waiting on my beautiful louisiana iris to bloom my mom got them like 3 years ago n my yard is full of em also I got some nice in water plants I'm currently qt in a rubbermaid will be n their for a while. Where can I get decent koi under 4 inches for 3-7$ . In destrrhan she has very nice butterfly for 4.99 I got four but I wanna get other types from other places not so much petco.

Reaction score
Yea I'd def like to see some pics I was in Hammond at hidden oaks last weekend caught a lot of bullfrog Tads and polywogs. Here's some pics of where I'm at I also collected more drift wood and some sweet stones need more rock in my opinion but it's now almost crystal clear.
2d609a78.jpg

01065046.jpg

Most of the plants are still kinda in shock but it's getting their added two diffrent ivys some spider lilies and alotta fern and mosses and alotta diffrent plants so it's def getting their

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, just read this whole thread. OMG, you started this in March, it's just April, and you not only have your pond done, it's cleared, you have really cool driftwood and rocks you collected locally, and now you have baby fry! Haha, you are amazing! You need to follow Larkin's thread on his new pond build where he moved to! Wow, he's building quite a large couple of ponds there. And, it would be fun to see other's ponds in your area.
Congrats again on your babies, and your pond is very unique and "swampy", just like you envisioned. Quite appealing, and neat that you put it in that area in the corner of your yard, and voila, you have swamp, and turn around and have your beautiful pool!

Reaction score
OK, just read this whole thread. OMG, you started this in March, it's just April, and you not only have your pond done, it's cleared, you have really cool driftwood and rocks you collected locally, and now you have baby fry! Haha, you are amazing! You need to follow Larkin's thread on his new pond build where he moved to! Wow, he's building quite a large couple of ponds there. And, it would be fun to see other's ponds in your area.
Congrats again on your babies, and your pond is very unique and "swampy", just like you envisioned. Quite appealing, and neat that you put it in that area in the corner of your yard, and voila, you have swamp, and turn around and have your beautiful pool!

Amazingly lucky is more like it. Finally got the gf to take quality pics coming soon

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Matt, Your pond build is coming along really nice. I really like the natural look with the cyprus tree and drift wood. water looks really good for being so new. if you happen to be coming up this way LMK, your welcome to come by for a visit if you come up. If I had known you were at Hidden oaks you were within a few miles of the old house and pond. Tommorrow is the last day of it's exsistance. Gets filled in tomorrow and all will be moved over to the cabin. I've still got about 3-5000 koi fry in the old pond and will probably be able to move out another 100 or two but thats about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow I just started at the beginning and looked at this thread to the end. You did a great job! I love the last pics you posted. Strong work!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hope you sealed those lights with silicon as I have yet to see lights that are completely sealed .I got lights that shine down on the water and look much better because when you are looking down on those underwater ones they tend to blind you .They seem to be alright for the water fall but thats it .I feel like if they are not in the water the fish show up better .

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yea I should be going to the wildlife place in robert la this weekend how big r the fry?
LOL, seven days old today, MAYBE, 1/4" long? VERY tiny. We caught all we could today before the final drain down. Found another pond we could relocate some to so my son and I spent about two hours catching fry as we drained down the pond. My guess we caught another 800-1200 fry. Wish we could have saved more but it just wasn't possible. If your going to be in Robert we are north side of Hammond off of I-55 on Wardline rd.

Reaction score
LOL, seven days old today, MAYBE, 1/4" long? VERY tiny. We caught all we could today before the final drain down. Found another pond we could relocate some to so my son and I spent about two hours catching fry as we drained down the pond. My guess we caught another 800-1200 fry. Wish we could have saved more but it just wasn't possible. If your going to be in Robert we are north side of Hammond off of I-55 on Wardline rd.

In your expirence how long before the koi eat dry food made to their size so I can hopefully stop funking up the water. I take t your koi breed same time as mine any idea on the parents u should shoot me a link of ur new pond if u can I look but on the iPhone it's a serious pain. Do u raise ur fry outside what do u feed and all that.

Ask a Question