Hello Ftom the D

B

Burd

Anyone have a pic of the filter I want to use? I just bought a small pump if I don't run the waterfall. Does it just go inline?
I got a smaller version of the Blue pump I had for my pool cover. Little Giant brand.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To help clean it up you can put a milk crate in the waterfall area and put quilt batting in it and hose from the pump in it to catch everything .Just hose off the quilt batting and put it back in the crate

B

Burd

IMG_7608.JPG
Once the ground cover fills in it's not too bad. Here's a night shot, I sealed around the waterfall tube, so the slate is ready to get put back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice picture at night! I like frogs too. It's always been a battle for me to keep frogs in my pond because they tend to wander off....

B

Burd

I had 7 last year, I put 3 of those in. Sad they all died over the winter. Maybe a heater?

B

Burd

I found out Royal Tropical Birds on Woodward ave now has pond supplies, and tests water, I'll have to stop out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm from Oakland Co as well; try going to Grass Roots off I-275 (I forget the city but it's about 45 min south of Royal Oak) as they have lots of good things you'll be tempted to put in your pond. Good advice too, though I'm a minimalist and keep it as simple as I can, letting nature handle much of the filtering. One very important concept is to know the nitrogen cycle; it'll explain a lot what stages pond owners go through and when you understand, the questions become easier as well as the answers!

Michael

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And here I can't keep frogs away .With all the rain the frog sounds have been deafening at night .

B

Burd

That's strange, I had 7 in there and they didn't make a sound.
I'll have to check out that place.
Does English Gardens have and pond supplies?

B

Burd

We used to go out to a guys place, he had Strange plants, Cacti, A butterfly tent and pond plants. Whitmore lake area? Out off 23, I can't remember the name of the place. There were 3 places we would hit, my sister used to love going out there, one place had Peyote plants, they were inmarked, I noticed it, it's a Cactus, I bought one. Still have it. Lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Check the construction thread there are a lot of DIY filters you can make that work well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
English Gardens has a limited supply. Not familiar with any place near/at Whitmore Lake. Google, perhaps can help.

My pond is enclosed (screened) and until I totally blocked all the small entrances, my frogs would leave, too. Had 2 leopard frogs go awol that way...

B

Burd

We put the slate back in the waterfall, it needs another pump. I bought on, I want to add another, I'd like to put a filter on this one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best thing about more than 1 pump is if one goes out you always have back up .I learned the hard way the first year I had my pond and pump went out and it was a mad rush to find one in a rural area .I have 2 laguna pumps and have back up for them also .2900 gph and 2400gph and best thing is combined wattage use is only around 115 watts because laguna pumps do not use as much wattage as they advertise .The bigger the hose and the cleaner you keep the cage .I can see the usage chart when I signed up to my utility company and registered everything in my house .Took forever to list everything but well worth it .

Ask a Question