addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd like to put some water plants in but what do you do with them in the winter?
Buy ones that will survive your area. I have no plants that need to be babied, if they survive the winter they get to live here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
window screening works great and little bird feet and frog legs don't get caught in it .

B

Burd

IMG_8374.JPG
IMG_8376.JPG
Today 3 frogs was basking in the sun by the pond. Lol.
I put screen on the frame. Let's see how it works tomorrow when the knuckleheads cut the grass. I'll post pics.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd like to put some water plants in but what do you do with them in the winter?
Black Taro (and many other varieties) are easy to winterize, just pull out of the water, cut at the base and let the root dry out for a few days, then put it in a paper bag or box with some peat mos and that's it!

I take mine out of the box in February or March, I put them in front of a window, in a container with just an inch of water (no soil), and they start growing almost right away.....makes a great house plant if you have a spot with enough light, and you check that it doesn't dry out

B

Burd

The screen worked out nice. Leaves are sorting to fall, and the frogs can still get up,on the rim.

B

Burd

Should I keep the bubbler going all winter? All the frogs died over the winter, last year I let the leaves fall in. Not sure what to do

B

Burd

Ok. Thanks, I'll do that. And with the screen I made the water shouldn't be all nasty in the spring.

B

Burd

I think after all the leaves fall and I get them cleaned up, I'll put the screen a way, I saw a squirrel go under it for a drink.

B

Burd

Also, I bought a live plant, water Lilly, not sure if it's hardy for here or not. The filter looks like it cleaned the water up streaky, I took it apart and hose it clean yesterday.it looks like some of the ground cover plants are living in the water too.
You can see the new plant lower right hand Corner, and the bubbler quit so I had to get a new one a week ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question