Hello.

Reaction score
Quick update.

I have the lilies planted and in the pond. In addition to the 2 that I got from Patti, I had 2 more given to me. Also while I was at the pet store they had all their aquarium plans 50% off, so I picked up 2 small tropicals for 2.50 each. If the pond looks too overgrown in the summer because of the lilies, I will bring the 2 tropicals into my aquarium.

My pump is a submersible, and so I stuck it in a free Wal-Mart frosting bucket, stuffed quilt batting all around it. I have been keeping an eye on the rate of flow on the waterfall. It hasn't gotten clogged once. *knock on wood* and before it kept clogging.

Between the filter and the lilies I can see the buckets the lilies are planted in.

The Maple tree is loosing it's blooms and they keep dropping in the pond, so I have been skimming it often.

The bog needs more gravel, and I am seriously thinking about removing the rocks around the edge of the preformed pond. They move too much and I can't keep the kids off of them. I am thinking of just using gravel around the edge. Yes, the liner will show, but safety first.

I have planted more bulbs, and 3 more hostas around the pond. The parrots feather is still pathetic, but I can't locate any.

Bog needs plants, but the dogs keep laying in it. Grrrr. We went from 60* days to 90*.

I have seen oriels, hummingbirds, robins, blue jays, Mississippi kites, a small yellow bird and a 2ft garter snake. I am sure more, but just not catching it.

In fact as I was typing this, look what was in the water fall.

Attachments

• IMG_20130517_152417-1.jpg
    IMG_20130517_152417-1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 162

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hate them all too .Been attacked by a snake ,bitten by a spider and frogs (well toads ) really mess up my pond so I guess I am with Dolly on that one ,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I don't care for water snakes. For some reason they instill fear in me, whereas ground snakes (garden, garter, black, rat, etc.) don't bother me in the least. I don't have any rattlesnakes in my area, nor other large poisonous ones, so not so much to fear them. I will protect black and rat snakes when people want to kill them. Just relocate them. I have a pic on my wall of my son and daughter, they were probably 4 and 5, holding a very large black snake that they insisted I catch for them to hold! My son laid down on the ground, the snake was as long as him, and it just laid there, not afraid. So, my kids take after me, learned that snakes can help keep the mouse population down. But, I don't ever scare people with snakes. Lots of people have phobias for them, and I understand that. My phobia is stinging bugs, like wasps, and bees and hornets.
Wonder what kind of snake that is, Taz? I always called snakes that look similar to that "garden" snakes, but I think the correct name is "garter" snake, and there are lots of varieties of that type. Hope it isn't eating anything you want to keep in your pond, like frogs.

Reaction score
So an update is due, but where to begin?

About 2 weeks ago I saw the signs of a mole/vole. A couple of days later I go out and there are holes behind the waterfall. The dogs were trying to get to it, and made a huge mess. *sigh*

Last weekend I went to the lake for about 36 hours. I left my soaked hose on in another part of the yard. Flooding occurred in the chicken run, came home to pond half empty from fountain spraying out of the pond, and a water snake in the pond. Got snake out, refilled pond, and decided chickens and 4 ducks needed to run around the yard for a few days to help dry out the pen.

DUCKS in my pond!!!!!! Fountain again shooting at an angle, pond was once again half empty, lillies and parrots feather destroyed, and liner floating. Removed fountain, created drain for water under pond, put rocks on liners edge to hold it down.

Today, went to pond store. I bought 2 hyacinths, some hornwort and anachris. I put in the plants, pulling out fallen tree leaves, move to other side of pond, and I notice water snake is back...

It is a mess right now! I do have about 7 4" goldfish from the bait shop in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do you want some more lilies?? I'm getting ready to make a box of stuff for another ponder. I'm such a softie. LOL Said I was done shipping stuff, but I have sooooo many lilies still, and need to thin them out. Sadly, I see no colors but white and pink. No sign so far of the Georgia Peach, which truly saddens me. Wondering if I had the wrong pot marked, and gave away all my peach color. May have to beg another one from Addy next spring.
But, I have lots of cattails blooming now, at least 20 blooms (cattails) in each of my bogs, and want to remove all the ones from the koi bog, which I want to make a little more organized. I have tons of really large clover, parsley and penny wart. The first 2 are very fast growing once established, and the penny wart is fast growing, but more controllable. Let me know if I can help you out. Planning to get in the ponds to groom the lilies this weekend anyhow.
That snake needs to be relocated far far away! And, yeah, ducks can really play havoc with a pond. They don't just float around, they like to dive and grab things under the water. So sorry to hear of your problems. I had leak that got under my liner in January, pond was emptying out from waterfall issue (had problem again yesterday, but minor in comparison). By adding more water, it went back down, but now has more wrinkles in it than when I initially laid it, and I was so careful to make all the folds go the same way. LOL Good luck!

Reaction score
I would love another care package! Thank you so much for the offer! It looks so bare.

I don't really want to kill the snake, I just want it to move, far away. I didn't see it this morning, so I am hoping all my puttering around out there annoyed it so much, it decided to move to a quieter neighborhood. ;)

I did see some disturbance in my neighbor's lawn. I think the mole/voles have moved. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, PM me what you would like, and ask for anything and everything! I have far too much of everything in my ponds. LOL
Awwww .... what kind of bird is it, do you know? My sister and BIL in WI had a nest and babies, and turns it it was a house finch. Very neat to get to watch them grow and fly away.

Ask a Question