Help disappearing Plecostomus'es ??

Reaction score
I have a pond 6' X 4' X 4' deep. I have it covered by a welded steel 1' x 1' grid with 1/4 tough nylon mesh garden screen over that. Nothing get in or out.

I live in Florida and the pond is heated by three large tank heaters. Winter before last I had three 5 year old large Plecostomuses about 6 - 10 inches long in the pond along with 15 common goldfish. The pond turns green during the winter but stays in the 70's temp wise with the heaters.

When I cleaned the pond that spring one pleco was missing - no bones or remains of any type found. This spring the other two are GONE. They can't jump out, the steel cover and the nylon mesh look undisturbed. Nothing gets in, and all the goldfish are there..

What happened? Is it possible for the goldfish to eat them if they died? Bones and all????
I'm stumped.

Reaction score
I wish that were the case, and it's still a possibility, but my pond isn't that large. I know the first one is gone for sure because I had to empty the pond for leaks last summer. The other two this winter??? Something for me to consider. Weird isn't it. I hope they show up.
Thanks for answering.

Reaction score
I had two plecos in my pond a few years ago. I drained the pond to catch them and bring them in for the winter. Found one pleco and found no sign of the other. No body, no bones, nothing. The pond was totally drained.

Ask a Question