Help! Husband cleaned the pond and fish died!

Reaction score
So my best guess is a raccoon came, moved the rock and got to him. So we're sad all over again that we let our one survivor down and allowed him to be dinner for some dumb raccoon.
Sounds like a raccoon, but may have done you favor. Raccoons can kill fish, but they're not that good at it. Smelling a dead floater and taking it they're very good at.

This fish pond business can be so depressing sometimes :-(
More time spent learning about good pond care reduces depression. It can get complex but just learning the basics like water testing and pH buffering can get you 90% of the way. And a little bit about medical treatment, just enough to know it's beyond what you're will to do can reduce depression. I know a fair amount about medical treatment but I personally would never treat a fish because I know enough to know I probably can't fix them with my skill level and what lengths I'm willing to take. Instead I focus on water quality, easier to understand and have some control over.

Anyway, looks like we're starting from scratch. Thinking of heading to the pet store to buy some more feeder fish/goldfish. I read something about quarantining fish - is that necessary if they're all going to be newly introduced at once? The water was also obviously fine the last week for our lone survivor, so I don't think we need to do anything else to treat it. Any advice on how to go about re-stocking the pond, or is it as simple as bringing them home and putting them right into the pond?
Quarantining isn't needed with all new fish unless you're willing to go to the lengths needed to fix problems. If you were willing to treat a problem it's a lot easier to do in a hospital tank. Goes to what I was saying above...I wouldn't spent $20-50 and a lot of time to try and save $2 worth of feeder fish. It's a cruel world.

On the other hand, if you thought you wanted to treat fish in the future then this would be a good time to get a hospital tank set up and tested. Trying to do this later when there's a problem is just about impossible. High end fish keepers actually keep a hospital tank running all the time, keeping their less desirable fish there. That way if there's a problem you're ready to go. Again, not something I would do, but it's an option.

I wouldn't bother with buying "select" type goldfish, meaning the same varieties found in the feeder tank. It's common for pet stores to just pick out prettier fish from the feeder tank and place them into separate tanks and charge more. They are generally healthier, or at least there's no way to really tell beyond the obvious cloudy water, sluggish fish. Here's a good video on buying fish. Mostly about Koi, but much of it true for Goldfish too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could go and get just shubunkins, have a shubunkin only pond. They are really pretty, stay smallish. Only 2.29 at the petsmart here.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'm really sorry that you found it after the fact. I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert, but my vote is defininitely that the bucket of tap water did them in. I would not go buy fish right away. If its not too late, I would first focus on creating a wonderful acquatic environment for the next inhabitants of your pond and THEN add whatever fish tickles your fancy. Whatever you do...I suggest doing it slowly and with some forethought. (I learned that here) I havent heard anything about water testing kits in this thread yet, so... That would be my first step. Dont buy the testing strips. They are cheaper however they are often not giving you the best information. Buy a liquid test kit. They are about $40 and well worth it. Dont put chemicals in because the label on the bottle says its a good idea. Test the water first, and regularly to know what if anything does need to be done or added. Once you get your water chemistry to where you want it...THEN I would think about adding some fish. It sounds like it is not a huge pond so I would add the fish slowly. Maybe 1 or 2 to begin with. Continue to test the water. Make sure that your filtration system is doing its job keeping the water safe and then if you like add some more fishy friends to the mix.

Ask a Question