help!!!!! Man down!!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Appears to be some type of fungal infection. Causes - Poor water quality and/or an immunos-ppressed fish. Quarantine with a 0.03% salt treatment and an anti-fungal medication. Not flukes, as they primarily attack the gills.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We check the water quality twice a week for the past 4 months. Everything is perfect, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, ph, chlorine etc etc. The fish died, no point in quarantining him :)

why else would some of the other Koi be flicking/flashing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Appears to be some type of fungal infection. Causes - Poor water quality and/or an immunos-ppressed fish. Quarantine with a 0.03% salt treatment and an anti-fungal medication. Not flukes, as they primarily attack the gills.
First call Meyer is to find out is this mass is solid or otherwise but I do agree with your approach
If this was a solid mass then I would say it was a tumor but best ask Jeff , when you did the post mortem examination of the koi's Jaw was this just a soft mass of fungus or was it hard as in a tumorous mass ?
Sorry for your loss but from the speed your koi went down there would have been nothing you could have done .
However your right that it had been around for a while though as the algae attests to that but it would easily be missed so dont go knocking yourself Jeff .
If it is a soft fungal mass then we need to look for the cause and concentrate on removing any spores from your pond so that non of your other koi get infected .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It was soft dave as I pulled off most of it with my fingers. Whats left in the picture was more hard and I couldn't pull it off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
M'mmm may well be a mouth tumor that had developed as secondary infection in the form of a fungal one over it
You see the problem with mouth tumors the koi will go on until they can no longer take substanance from foods, simply because they cannot eat it anymore .All this time they are losing condition andbecause of this become open to all sots of things including fungal ifections such as you could see ..
So next you need to think of your other koi and treat any fungal infections they may now have as fungal infections spread primarily by producing masses of spores throughout the pond,
I would go with Meyer on the salt to treat this Jeff...

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We check the water quality twice a week for the past 4 months. Everything is perfect, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, ph, chlorine etc etc. The fish died, no point in quarantining him :)

why else would some of the other Koi be flicking/flashing?

If you have other fish that are 'Flashing', it is a sign of parasitic irritation.
Considering this behavior with some of the remaining Koi plus the diseased Koi that died, either the water quality is NOT optimum or something else has recently occurred in the pond that severely stressed the fish. This weakened condition exposes the fish to myriad pathogens...bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic. Only you are familiar enough with your pond to determine the exact cause of the weakening of your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
[
If you have other fish that are 'Flashing', it is a sign of parasitic irritation.
Considering this behavior with some of the remaining Koi plus the diseased Koi that died, either the water quality is NOT optimum or something else has recently occurred in the pond that severely stressed the fish. This weakened condition exposes the fish to myriad pathogens...bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic. Only you are familiar enough with your pond to determine the exact cause of the weakening of your fish.
Could it be simply the fact that we are fast moving towards freezing that has chilled the pond and thus stressed an already ompromised koi as Meyer says you say Jeff is the man on the scene , you need tell us

Dave.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What about saprolegnia? Thinking about it there I noticed some fish food in the lower pond that looked exactly like this article describes.

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?op...ia&catid=10:non-contagious-diseases&Itemid=20
They are one and the same Jeff as Meyer says it can be caused by many things from bacterial infections Parasite infections Poor water quality , poor diet , damage caused by netting even spawning , any stress factor can cause a parasiric infection, and thus a secondary fungal infection sets in .,
By the way K4U is a good site, I've known Pieter and Oom Neville for quite a few years now both were members of KKU when I ran it prior to its folding after the recession hit .
I still go on there from time to time, are you yourself a member with them Jeff ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Had to take doctors call sorry :(
As to the flashing Jeff go through everything you can think of that may be causing them to flash , did you prep the pond for winter , did you clean your filters before winter etc ?.
Can you get a scrape done on your koi to at leas get an idea of whats causing them to flash , are your water test kits in date and not giving you duff readings ?
You cant rule anything out at present but you do need to act on this.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you can Jeff buy one from Amazon they do some very nice ones in the bresser range ours is a Bresser NG 40x - 1024 x with Ocular , which is more than enough to be going with , your going to have to order a bresser box of slides and slide covers .
If you havent done a slide before then check out this thread we did a whike back now :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/microscopes-and-scrapes.11108/

Dave

Ask a Question