help!!!!! Man down!!!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I see I got tagged but late getting on the post here. As I suggested on the FB post I suspect saprolegnia, Best look under a scope for positive identification. That said, I would be wasting time going any further as Dave has pointed you in even a better direction than I would have. Dave is spot on with his suggestions. Please take the advice, Believe me, purchasing a microscope and practicing and learning with it is such a small and smart investment. I know many people are not comfortable in buying and using a microscope. Folks, it's not as hard or expensive as you may think. It's actually quite educating and fascinating. I was very nervous about getting one and putting it to use. Even bought one but it took me several months to get the courage to scrape and scope. Once I started though I kick myself for not getting one and learning sooner. IMO, one of the best purchases I have made since I started in the hobby some 25 years ago.........

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a microscope a couple months ago and have yet to try it with the fish. I did play around with it though with items I found around the house (just trying to see what stuff looks like under the scope) I also order (and just received the other day) some pre-prepped slides from Amazon so that I can get used to using the scope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I see I got tagged but late getting on the post here. As I suggested on the FB post I suspect saprolegnia, Best look under a scope for positive identification. That said, I would be wasting time going any further as Dave has pointed you in even a better direction than I would have. Dave is spot on with his suggestions. Please take the advice, Believe me, purchasing a microscope and practicing and learning with it is such a small and smart investment. I know many people are not comfortable in buying and using a microscope. Folks, it's not as hard or expensive as you may think. It's actually quite educating and fascinating. I was very nervous about getting one and putting it to use. Even bought one but it took me several months to get the courage to scrape and scope. Once I started though I kick myself for not getting one and learning sooner. IMO, one of the best purchases I have made since I started in the hobby some 25 years ago.........
I bought a microscope a couple months ago and have yet to try it with the fish. I did play around with it though with items I found around the house (just trying to see what stuff looks like under the scope) I also order (and just received the other day) some pre-prepped slides from Amazon so that I can get used to using the scope.
They are litterally worth their wealth in gold arent they @fishin4cars @bettasngoldfish we scrape when neccessary and routinely in spring when the fish are at their weakest and thu open to infection
So just think of it Jeff from you suspecting a parasite to diognoses and treatment basically on the same day virtually priceless dont you think ?.
Rather than have to ask someone out from a dealership or someones pond guy to take a look for you plus the inconveniance of having to wait in for them possibly meaning a day off work..
Not only that Jeff but the occular will enable you to build up your own video nasty library for ease of future diagnoses.
Then all you need know is which chemicals to use to treat each of the parasites but that will come with practice my frriend:happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Did you get your Microscope Jeff if so which one and have you attempted a scrape yet ?

Dave

Ask a Question