Help me please...koi are dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
Perfectly fine to use.
How long do you anticipate the main pond could be drained for?
If it's too long you should get some kind of mechanical filtration running on the quarantine tank. A pressure filter for example. Even a basic milk crate over the pond with some filter pads would work.

When you say “perfectly fine to use” are you saying any silicon caulk/sealant is okay to use?

I’m thinking the main pond might be drained for up to a week what with work schedule and a host of conflicting priorities.

Im a visual guy...is there a resource here with pics/examples of what a pressure filter is or what a filter pad is and how that would work?

Regarding the overflow drain on the main pond I think I’m misrepresenting the outlet. I’ll put up a short YouTube video to better explain the setup.

And A-OK on the tests to run at this point. That will help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just google “pond pressure biofiltet” - there are lots of brands to choose from. (I’m on my phone or I would post a link!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You'll need a small pump to supply the filter.

Here's a canister or pressure filter:
download.jpg
download.jpg

Here's a milkcrate setup that sissy uses to filter her pond:

100_4178[1].JPG

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 192
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In working with what you have and leaving your skimmers as is for now, consider netting your pond from falling leaves, then your skimmer won't clog and lift. There are lots of places to get nets and some people use fishing line and "sew" them together for larger coverage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Quarantine Tank Test

Time: 10:30am
Water temp: 58F
PH: 7.8-8.0
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

**Note: Prime added at approximately 10:15am

Reaction score
Country
United States
Still have three koi today. They look pretty good...the are calm. The medium white one looks a little pink tinged in areas so that’s not too good. He has some raised scales on his right side near his tail but I think that’s where he abraded himself when he jumped out of the quarantine tank, and the area reduces in size every day. Test results for today:

Quarantine Tank
Time: 1:00pm
Water temp: 63F
PH: 7.8-8.0
Ammonia: 1ppm+

Should I add more Prime?

Main Pond
Time: 1:05pm
PH: 8.2-8.4
Salinity: 1-2ppt

Starting another water change on the main pond.

Oh, and here’s a short video about the main pond overflow system:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... interesting overflow concept. Is that all your property? I don't know what the laws are where you live, but in our municipality you are allowed to plumb any water right up to your lot line. We learned that when our neighbor decided to solve his sump pump problem by pumping into our yard. (The story has a happy ending though - just learned a lot about small village governments!)

I think I would at the very least put some screening over the end of that pipe to prevent any fish from getting swept down the pipe - your big koi would be fine, but any future babies might find themselves high and dry. You're probably far enough from the wetland that there's little chance anything would make it from your pond all the way down there, but again - I don't know your local ordinances and how they would apply.

As for the water testing - hopefully @MitchM will see this and pop in. I'm not a water tester so I don't know how to advice you on that one! Good news on the three who are still alive!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes with another dose of Prime.
Thanks for posting the test results and that video on your overflow.
With the salinity reading on the main pond, I'm becoming more convinced that the pond was salted to begin with, so it's good that you're measuring and bringing the salinity down now. It will be easier on your fish in the long run.
I also think that's what probably negatively affected your 2 largest koi.
Once the salinity is down to zero or close to, and we have the KH/GH numbers, we can make any final adjustments and get your koi back into the big pond.
As your overflow drains onto the surface, I don't think that will be against any laws (if you own that land), but if you have a chance, it would be good for you to learn what the laws are. A screen like Lisa suggested might be all you need to prevent any problems down the road. Your proximity to a wetland could be an issue.
I live 1/2 a mile away from the nearest natural pond (which we own), and I would still need to have an inspector come out and inspect my setup if I wanted to keep Tilapia. Goldfish or minnows are apparently fine. You never know how laws are worded.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the updates! A lot of people join, then we never hear from them again— never know if there was a resolution to the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You’re very welcome. In kind, thanks all for the continued replies and guidance. So much appreciated.

Yes we own all the property to about halfway into the swampy wetlands; the pond overflow drains well inside the property line.

Still have three scaly friends today.

This morning’s test results:

Quarantine Tank
Time: 7:35am
Water temp: 61F
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 1ppm
**Note: added Prime yesterday evening

Main Pond
Time: 7:40am
PH: 8.2
Salinity: 0ppt

So the PH continues to creep down in the quarantine tank. There is still some pinkness to the medium white koi. I can’t tell with the two smaller orange koi. Should I add another dose of prime? Regarding the GH/KH test kit I’m kicking myself. I thought I could find it locally so I didn’t order one because it was going to take a bit to arrive. I’m having trouble finding a kit locally now and should have just ordered it. I got a couple leads on other possible local sources so I’m following up this morning and will order the kit with expedited shipping if I come up dry locally.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes to Prime.
No more water changes in the big pond, it's PH should start dropping.
Try feeding the fish a small amount to see if they're interested in eating plus it will give you a chance to inspect them a bit closer.

What % do you think you changed of the big pond's volume?
What fish food are you using?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, will add Prime.

I’ll will try feeding the koi a little food later today. We use and have consistently used Hikari Staple medium-size pellet food.

I did a total of three water changes on the main pond, and pumped out about 3” of water each time. That was about 15% volume by my calculation. In total I estimate the total volume change was 40-50%.

I think I found GH and KH test kits at a local pool and spa supply store. I’m going to go later this morning and see.

Ask a Question