Help me please...koi are dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
Still having trouble finding GH and KH tests. :[

Have one more place to test tomorrow. I *do* have test strips that have a “total hardness” test. I was told by the pool and spa store that is the same as calcium hardness. Is that true? Will that tell us something if I dip and test that later today?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
The “Total Hardness” of the main pond using the test strip pictured below is between 100ppm and 250ppm...closer to the 100ppm range. I realize that’s a wide swath and the particular measure may not relate to the suggested GH or KH tests...but...it’s something (maybe) for now.

426FCA70-B9F5-4EF5-8FFA-5C1CE468D45A.jpeg

I have one more place to check tomorrow for a GH/KH Kit and if that fails then I’ll be ordering the API GH/KH test kit off of Amazon or the like.

The koi do not seem to be interested in food, though they may have simply been wary...it did look like the medium white one was maybe munching at matter down in the rocks though.

5302C0E4-E778-44A5-B8E0-38AC2A72FE91.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Total Hardness or General Hardness is a measurement of calcium and magnesium.
Carbonate Hardness is different and is a measurement of carbonates.
They are different.
Test strips are pretty inaccurate, the best they will tell you is that you have "some".

Maybe put a piece of plywood over half the quarantine tank to give the fish a sense of security.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So the bottom line is I can’t put the koi back in the main pond until we know the GH and KH?

We have some important plans out of town Wednesday through Friday this week...and with my work schedule and other demands, if I can’t find the GH/KH test kit in town here, I don’t have the ability to drive up to Portland and hunt for one.

Still kicking myself for not simply ordering one last week online. Dumb.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It's pretty important to match Temperature, PH and KH before you transfer the fish.
Since you are going away for a few days, I think it would be better if the fish were in the big pond so we'll have to forego the KH.
Over the course of an hour or so today, remove some water from the quarantine tank, and replace it with water from the pond. Try to do it about 6 times, about 10 gallons at a time. At the end of the hour, test the PH and temperature, make sure they're pretty close then transfer the fish to the big pond.
Temperature difference less than 5 degrees and PH less than 0.2 difference is acceptable.
Have a look to see if that discoloration has changed on that one koi. Hopefully it's gotten better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If that's for both the pond and quarantine tank, go ahead and transfer the fish in the procedure I mentioned before.
I'm interested to know the initial PH difference before the transfer.

Great! (y)
Let's some numbers!
This is what you get when you type then hit post before reading what you typed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The KH is in the same range in the main pond as the quarantine tank...100-200ppm (9 drops of solution for the main pond, 11 drops for the quarantine tank).

The water temp differential between the two is about 3 degrees Fahrenheit...PH differential is about 0.2-0.3...maybe closer to 0.2. Hard to tell because the color is kind of in between the color blocks on the chart for both the main pond and the quarantine tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The three koi are back in the main pond. They look pretty calm. The white one still flits around occasionally, but he does still have a small area of raised scales from where he abraded it jumping out of the quarantine tank days ago, and he’s still a little rosy colored. Stressed I’m sure. I’ll just keep watching him.

Now on to long-term water quality maintenance systems development. Looking for any guidance to that end.

Ask a Question