Help me please...koi are dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our trip got delayed secondary to an unfortunate and unforeseen mechanical failure with our truck, so we’re here for another day or two. When it rains it pours. But maybe we saved those three koi, and our pond is healthier already.

So I should still source a GH test kit, yes?

And is KH of 100-200ppm acceptable?

I bought some mesh bags and am going to get some lava rock to establish something of a waterfall biofilter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am also going to purchase some green Matala filter pad for the second stage filter in the skimmer. I’m realizing the material Aquascape provides for this...just...sucks.

I want to highlight something I said in my post about about “maybe we saved those three koi”...the “we” is us here but equally so all of you here on this forum that guided and advised us here.

T
H
A
N
K

Y
O
U

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The KH reading is in the correct range.
The GH may only need to be measured once, but it does need to be measured, epically if someone has determined that you have had a high PH problem.
A correct measurement will ensure that your PH doesn't go too high, which would cause stress to the fish.
If you have a well water quality test report, see if it lists calcium and magnesium measurements.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, pondophiles.

We lost the larger white koi...not too surprised. He is the one who lept out of the quarantine tank. His tail was injured...I was surprised he rallied at all. But we are sad about this nonetheless.

Just want to let you know we are still here.

GH test and some green Matala filter media are on order. Will report back with GH test results when we have them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, that's sad to hear... Let's hope for the best for the remaining fish. Thanks for checking in!

Ask a Question