Help my koi are dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Idea Brenda why not scrape some off the wall of the pond and send it to have it analized by your Health and Safety executive or US version off?
That way once and for sure we can rule out poisons toxins etc it may well be something natural.
Plus its a peace of mind for yourself :happy:
Besides we'd all like to know just what it is or isnt :confused:

Dave

Reaction score
Idea Brenda why not scrape some off the wall of the pond and send it to have it analized by your Health and Safety executive or US version off?
That way once and for sure we can rule out poisons toxins etc it may well be something natural.
Plus its a peace of mind for yourself :happy:
Besides we'd all like to know just what it is or isnt :confused:

Dave
the pond what completely cleaned I started over so unable to scrape anything

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, Brenda! I just posted to your thread on KOIPHEN regarding your source water, and wondering if you've gotten it tested, or thought of getting it tested for chemicals & minieral? What I'm talking about is not the general testing we do on pond water. I would be very curious to see what is in your water and if that could be a factor in the "purple." It was interesting that the other person posted about barley straw turning someone's water pinkish-purple. I don't know if anyone else has had that happen to them, and again, it might be something specific to your water. If it was me, I would want to know [curiosity, if nothing else]. Then if it ever happens again, you'll know if it's a normal reaction or something you need to worry about.

Reaction score
my water has been tested the well if fine been using this water since May for these fish but I also used it for fresh and salt water when I had them. I also have a pool that is crystal clear with no chemicals except salt. My pond is clear now except it is raining right now so not sure about now but in a few days it will be clear again all my fish are in the pond now and swimming around doing great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What are the water perameters at this present time I think Maggie was asking as you have to be very careful with them when you top up your main pond .
Maggie we stopped using it years ao in the UK cant remember the reason why maybe something new came up, anyway I dont know of anyone who uses it anymore .

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dave 54 actually I was asking for her to check the well water mineral & chemical content [for a source for the purple stuff]. She reported [in another thread?] that they've had the water tested and it was OK.

Reaction score
What are the water perameters at this present time I think Maggie was asking as you have to be very careful with them when you top up your main pond .
Maggie we stopped using it years ao in the UK cant remember the reason why maybe something new came up, anyway I dont know of anyone who uses it anymore .

Dave
everything is great no dead fish water clear will be testing again today and will let you know

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Great news what is it you've learned from this whole thing ?
Remember you cannot stock your pond to such a high level in the future or your going to be back to square one in rapid succession , tell your friends that they are in acctual fact wrong to stock their ponds to such absurd levels as you did and they are walking a very fine line which may at any time turn on them :(
Buy those books and have a good read it will prepare you for the future , remember regular maintenance, water chahges and water testing go a very long way in keeping your koi in good health :)
Personally I think the pond guy should have picked up on your levels of stocking but he didnt and he should have, he should also have known what was wrong with your koi , but I'll leave that up to you as to whether you get rid of him (we would) :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dave no open sores gills are normal. they are just losing there scales I am treating them with proform-c in a different tank I emptied my pond. I have been testing my water every other day at 2pm and all my levels have been good all along my ph has been 7.4 for two months. I am at a lost as well as my pond guy. The fins looked good on most but some looked ragged.
Have you checked your salt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This pond is designed for 5 to 8 adult koi. At 125 koi you may have 45 pounds of fish in the water based on what you have described. That water to pound ratio is about 50 gallons a pound at the moment, so your filter should be sized to handle that fish weight. So if your filter is large enough your enormous school should still be fine, and you are operating a vendor pond. Vendor ponds have specific data characteristics that differ from hybrid watergardens.. I’ve seen 4000 koi of this size in a vendor pond and they had no disease. Fish number does not kill fish. The only way you will know if there is a parasite is to scrape, clip and scope. Any analysis without microscope observation is invalid. Nitrate values are meaningless really. The definitive aquaculture study on nitrate showed no impact even at 600. If you measure temperature, ammonia, pH, nitrites, and water turbidity, that’s plenty of data. As for parasites, yours probably came from your vendor even though that person says they quarantined. Just because they say they quarantine, that doesn’t mean they were successful. One of our members brought in fish that had been quarantined twice and ended up with chidonella. Parasites do not fall from the sky. They must arrive on a live animal. That’s why they are parasites. Opportunistic bacteria do fall from the sky. Pseudomonas infest all seeds for example.

So you take all the fish out and treat the pond for parasites. Except for ick that forms a cyst on the sidewall and then releases tomites into the water to attack other fish, the parasites are on the fish. They can’t live more than about 20 minutes outside a fish body. Ick that has formed a cyst on the pond wall cannot be killed because they are in the cyst. You need to treat your fish if you are parasite hunting.

There is something else going on here and we do not have the required data. Part of the data is measurement. Another part is pond structural design. The third piece is fish behavior and condition, especially sick fish behavior. Surface gasping, pectoral tucking, disorientation, flashing except during feeding, visible wounds, fin or mouth damage, red lines in the fins, spiderwebbing, pineconing, and isolating all tell different stories. Tell us their stories since the story is incomplete at the moment.

Ask a Question