USDA 8a
Country
United States
1619473860029.gif
and welcome @LYB8161

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah you may have some words wrong - a "skippy" is a type of DIY filter. It's not a pump. And a waterfall wouldn't need any kind of filter at all. So lots of confusing info there!

that’s what the previous owner told me. Here are the rest of the pictures

Attachments

• CD81D58C-FB48-451D-8C12-3402B814033D.jpeg
    CD81D58C-FB48-451D-8C12-3402B814033D.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 43
  • AA38FA20-683D-4B94-AC39-19F05B7BA9D6.jpeg
    AA38FA20-683D-4B94-AC39-19F05B7BA9D6.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 44
  • E3F231CA-C457-4CB3-A465-8B1C01908F13.jpeg
    E3F231CA-C457-4CB3-A465-8B1C01908F13.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 272FC754-074D-4BDC-9D61-82A28DF5D50F.jpeg
    272FC754-074D-4BDC-9D61-82A28DF5D50F.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 405C90BF-4DBF-4A41-8E5C-A02FEEB77BEE.jpeg
    405C90BF-4DBF-4A41-8E5C-A02FEEB77BEE.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
from what I can figure, you don't have a skippy. Not sure what type filter that is (mrsclem is probably right re bead filter). You have an external pump, that's for sure. The filter basket looks more like a prefilter than anything. It is precisely your confusion and pictorial of what you have that I like to promote the bog filter; it's so simple and once done, you hardly need do anything. Simpler in so many ways, but if you did the research here, you probably now already know this. Not too late to convert and that's my suggestion. @addy1 can instruct how to using your external pump as I'm into submersibles only.

My guess as to why the water stopped via your waterfall is something is clogged/stopped up. You'll probably have to disconnect each piece and see if the water is flowing through each one in order until you find the culprit. When something is acting up for me, generally, taking it apart and cleaning as I go solves most issues. It at least lets me find any broken part that needs replacing.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What is the control box on the wall for? Is it possible that it may be the problem if your pump is plugged into it? Or maybe the pump is overheating and shutting off.

Reaction score
One question - did you change the handle position at all on the Aqua filter?

Next - that leaf filter needs cleaning...but:
You have an external pump - it's quite likely you need to prime that pump; it probably wont be able to pump anything until you do that.
With my setup (similar to yours, except for the type of filter you use), i will normally have to clean the leaf filter, clean the lid of the leaf filter also to ensure that the o-ring is clean and then add water to the leaf filter until i see water starting to fill it and no longer just "disappearing" into the pipes... this is because my setup doesnt have a check valve between the leaf filter and the pond... which usually is a good thing to have as it allows the external pump to not lose prime as easily.
So let's start there... clean leaf filter; clean the leaf filter lid and o-ring.
Then add water to the leaf filter basked to try and prime that pump. When you see it has filled up - put the lid back on, ensure it's tight and start the pump.
You may have to wait up to 10 minutes for water to start flowing, this depends on the filter back pressure and how much the pump has been primed.
Are you able to see where the pump takes its water from in the pond? Do you know if you have some kind of bottom drain? This will look like a round or square item on the floor of the pond... if it's a retro then it will have some pipe coming off it - if not then you wont see the pipe coming out of it...
If you dont have a check valve, then you may have a difficult time priming it... so then you will need to check the level of water in your pond and compare it to the external pump and leaf filter. You will find that if the water level is low in your pond, then you will need to add water to the pond so that you can give your pump an easier time to get started.
Send more photos of the pond and pipes exiting from it if possible and then also of the Aqua filter itself... cant read the exact writing on top of it... but we should be able to get a manual for it online and help that way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m curious.....why are you calling this a “Skippy” filter?

im calling it a skippy filter because the previous owner built this and he stated it was a skippy. he said waterfall is a skippy and where the fish is at is bio filter said it just like that

Reaction score
Country
United States
One question - did you change the handle position at all on the Aqua filter?

Next - that leaf filter needs cleaning...but:
You have an external pump - it's quite likely you need to prime that pump; it probably wont be able to pump anything until you do that.
With my setup (similar to yours, except for the type of filter you use), i will normally have to clean the leaf filter, clean the lid of the leaf filter also to ensure that the o-ring is clean and then add water to the leaf filter until i see water starting to fill it and no longer just "disappearing" into the pipes... this is because my setup doesnt have a check valve between the leaf filter and the pond... which usually is a good thing to have as it allows the external pump to not lose prime as easily.
So let's start there... clean leaf filter; clean the leaf filter lid and o-ring.
Then add water to the leaf filter basked to try and prime that pump. When you see it has filled up - put the lid back on, ensure it's tight and start the pump.
You may have to wait up to 10 minutes for water to start flowing, this depends on the filter back pressure and how much the pump has been primed.
Are you able to see where the pump takes its water from in the pond? Do you know if you have some kind of bottom drain? This will look like a round or square item on the floor of the pond... if it's a retro then it will have some pipe coming off it - if not then you wont see the pipe coming out of it...
If you dont have a check valve, then you may have a difficult time priming it... so then you will need to check the level of water in your pond and compare it to the external pump and leaf filter. You will find that if the water level is low in your pond, then you will need to add water to the pond so that you can give your pump an easier time to get started.
Send more photos of the pond and pipes exiting from it if possible and then also of the Aqua filter itself... cant read the exact writing on top of it... but we should be able to get a manual for it online and help that way.

I was instructed to turn off the pump, turn the blue valve then the filter top pops open, I was told, which is not true I had to twist it off, I cleaned It out. then I did the backwash for three minutes and rinse for three minutes. turned the blue valve again to open it. started up the power. it took a while for water to start coming out of the waterfall
I do see pipes in the waterfall around and in the pond but I can't figure out anything else ill take more picture this weekend, hopefully I can get pictures of the pipers maybe be I can attach a video?

Ask a Question