Help needed, please - raised pond vs preformed liner!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bethan, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Bethan

tbendl T

Dieselplower, she wants the pond next to her deck, not on it. lol

tbendl, Oct 3, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Bethan

dieselplower

Oh yeah... True... :)

dieselplower, Oct 3, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Bethan

Bethan

Fear not! I cannot walk a single step, certainly not climb stairs, so I have glass doors from my ground level bedroom onto the deck. [It is about a foot off the ground so that it matches the height of the doors.]
    And the raised pond [of some sort!] will be adjacent to the deck, not on it...

Bethan, Oct 4, 2014
  4. Bethan

Bethan

Bethan, Oct 4, 2014
  5. Bethan

j.w I Love my Goldies

[​IMG] Bethan
    If you get that one above I would choose black.

j.w, Oct 4, 2014
  6. Bethan

Lisaebetten

What a great idea for you to enjoy a pond! I would make sure the container can handle the elements and pressure of water on the walls, so it doesn't bow out. The stock tanks are made for weather and water pressure. It would be something to consider to buy the product that is made for the job instead of trying something else that isn't made for the specific need. It's all info to research! Keep us updated with pictures of your build!

Lisaebetten, Oct 4, 2014
    Mmathis likes this.
  7. Bethan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I would go for a stock tank of some sort, unless you know the sides of the plastic bin are made really strong. Water is darn heavy and will bow out the sides.

[​IMG] to our group!

addy1, Oct 4, 2014
  8. Bethan

dieselplower

Good point. That one does say "bottle bin" so it might not be heavy duty enough.

dieselplower, Oct 4, 2014
    Mmathis likes this.
  9. Bethan

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Was just to post the same things :)

Mmathis, Oct 5, 2014
  10. Bethan

Bethan

[​IMG] I am now looking for a stock tank, with not much success so far! Will keep you posted.
    I have also found this - looks pretty, is 60.5cm deep, 1.6m long, 1 m wide [approx 2 feet deep, 5 feet long, 3 feet wide].
    But this one has a thin plastic liner, and I am worried that it is not insulated - so not good for fish in winter - and might tear if I put cinder blocks in it. Also, as it is not square, I am not sure how milk crates would fit in?
    So, I am still looking!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Bethan, Oct 11, 2014
  11. Bethan

Bethan

Here's an open water tank - 41 inches in diameter, 31 inches deep, 100 gallons.
    [​IMG]
    It has an optional insulated jacket, 2 3/8 inches thick. Would it be worth the extra money?

Bethan, Oct 11, 2014
  12. Bethan

Dave 54

Bethan like yourself Val and I are disabled and we have a raised pond in our back garden Val has Fascioscapularhumeral Muscular Dystrophy I suffer Chronic Ostio Arthritis in both legs as the result of motor cycle accident , I also have fybromyagia a chronic pain condition but am asking to be tested for MS because both conditions mirror each other.
    Your asking alot here as I dont think any of the stock tanks have places for you to place plants .
    You could build up a frame then place a preformed pond on top of it giving you the edges for your plants (there are black preformed ponds but would have to fill the frame with sand to support the preformed pond, another way to do this would be to buy a stock tank and use floating plant islands which are available on line .
    Do you intend to use it as just an eco pond or are you thinking of keeping fish too?
    If so your pond would need a pump and filters to help them survive otherwise they would in the end die so theres no way around that I'm affraid.
    We keep koi carp and find them very helpful at de stressing from the days trails which all disabled people as you know face, they are a very relaxing fish noted for their colouration and patterns , I find they help me meditate and forget the constant pain I'm in 24/7 365 days a year .
    Val finds that they do the same for her and we spend may hours out by the pond in the summer months .
    Bethan question you from the UK , if so Blagdon do a range of ponds called affinity ponds that may suit you down to the ground so to speak plus there are others :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FTS-Square-Wicker-Patio-Ponds/dp/B00LX89CSY

I really hope weve been able to help you with your quest here please if you have any other questions please ask

Dave

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Dave 54, Oct 11, 2014
  13. Bethan

dieselplower

Insulating an above ground tub will do basically no good unless it is also heated.

dieselplower, Oct 11, 2014
  14. Bethan

Bethan

Thanks dieselpower.

Yes, Dave, I understand the "pain 24/7"! Distraction IS what I am after.
    [I have Primary progressive MS, with heart fibrillation and double vision because of that, but also severe osteo-arthritis and osteoporosis, and - just to compound my greed! - I am recovering from a mastectomy and axillary dissection following breast cancer in 2012! Oh and I have peripheral arterial disorder and the only place they can now take blood is inside my right ankle with a paediatric cannula. I have become severely phobic to needles.]
    It is lucky that I am the happiest person I know...

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will follow up your thoughts - the floating islands sound interesting.
    I was thinking that a stock tank would be rigid enough to bear the weight of blocks to place the plants on, vs a thin liner possibly tearing.
    I think I want goldfish, probably fantails - unless they are considerably less 'robust' than a normal goldfish, rather than a wildlife pond. [And I simply don't have enough space for a koi pond.] So I suppose I need the pump after all, though my Mum has kept goldfish in a wooden half-barrel style [about 3 feet in diameter] raised pond for years. She 'inherited' it when she bought her house about 11 years ago, and the goldfish have happily bred there on and off for years. They share the pond with a frog. She has one tiny waterlily
    Mind you, she lives on the mild south coast, Brighton, and has a sheltered walled garden that rarely freezes.

I am gradually narrowing down what I want by throwing out what i do NOT want.
    Thank you, everyone, for your help!

Bethan, Oct 12, 2014
  15. Bethan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

So sorry to hear of all of your issues.

Ponds can add some nice comfort just watching the fish swim around. If you are in a cold area, fan tails might not be the best choice. I have heard they are not as hardy as goldfish / shubunkins. Shubunkins will give you some great colors, stay on the small side and seem to breed slower than goldfish.

I have two stock tank ponds as well as a liner pond. The stock tanks are pretty tough. I yanked one out with a back hoe, it held up well except the one hole I put in it with one of the tongs. They will handle blocks with no issue, just make sure the bottom is on flat land I put rock dust under my big tank (1000 gallon) kept smoothing it until the it was well supported. Sand would work too.

addy1, Oct 12, 2014
  16. Bethan

Lisaebetten

I agree, shubunkins are a nice change of pace from the goldies. I have both and enjoy both as equal. Have fun with this project, you will certainly spend many hours watching the pond.

Lisaebetten, Oct 12, 2014
  17. Bethan

j.w I Love my Goldies

I love the shubbies too and also the solid white goldfish, oh and the oj/white patterned ones too. Not real fond of the solid oj short tailed ones but love all of them w/ the long flowing tails. The cute fat one's w/ the fantails would be fun to have but like addy said I'm not sure they would do well in my pond in a really cold winter.

j.w, Oct 12, 2014
  18. Bethan

Fishylove

I also have fibromyalgia, my garden and pond is my oasis, even if I can only see it from my bedroom window at times. I think this will be a wonderful thing for you bethan.

Fishylove, Oct 13, 2014
    Mmathis likes this.
  19. Bethan

Bethan

Thank you all for your support and help! SO much appreciated. Will look at Shubunkins now... and possibly a couple of ordinary goldfish just for variety! i seem to remember that goldfish lose any black markings as they age...
    [I did fear the fancy ones would be less hardy!]

Bethan, Oct 13, 2014
  20. Bethan

Fishylove

They would be.. Unless you would have a very deep pond. I have one Fancytail gf, but my pond is 5 foot deep and she did fine last winter. And actually this last year was the worst winter we've had in a long time and I didn't have a heater so I was very happy she survived. :) It looks like you're heading in the right direction as far as a container. My two cents, keep in mind as you choose, that there needs to be water flow to every area of the pond. This keeps waste from accumulating in any one part of the pond and circulating through your filter to be disposed of :)

Fishylove, Oct 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question