Help needed, please - raised pond vs preformed liner!

Reaction score
I am just south of London, in the UK.

In a pretty sheltered spot, so able to grow tree lilies in pots and even brown turkey figs. Tomatoes, chili plants and strawberries without needing to be under glass. I think the coldest last winter was about 21 F, the warmest this summer was about 90 F [but the back garden, where the pond will be, doesn't get direct sun at midday].

I would like something bigger than a pot, so perhaps a barrel water garden?
I think I would like a goldfish or two... but would they survive the winter in a small container?

Reaction score
Welcome Bethan! When I saw your squirrel, I immediately thought you might live here in the states (reading on I see you very much do not Lol!). There is a town in Illinois, that has white squirrels everywhere! There is something so crazy about driving through a small town and seeing white squirrels running around and running up trees! You said she had babies? They sound soooo cute!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know @addy1 had a barrel water garden before but I don't have any experience with them. I think provided you have a deep area (3 feet or deeper) the fish will survive the winter but since I don't have fish I can't give you specifics on that.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a member here who lives in Plymouth -- he might have a better idea of what is available in the UK as far as products and services. I think he will have a good idea of what you are going through with your disabilities. His name is Dave, so let's just give him a "tag," here and give him a chance to chime into this conversation! @Dave 54

Someone else mentioned a "stock tank," and that does sound like a good idea, but again, would need to see what you have available. They aren't too big, but are big enough to have nice plants and a few fish.

Here are a few pictures I got off the internet....there is a lot of potential in a stock tank pond!
image.jpg

A couple of product examples....

image.jpg

.....possible ways to make it easier to access
image.jpg

And I like this one on the bottom -- they went all the way with it, didn't they :)

image.jpg

Oh, and BTW, when I first saw your avatar picture, I thought it was a ferret.....until I got a closer look at the head -- ears were wrong. So, then I thought it was a big rat. I guess "squirrel" never entered my mind 'cause I've never seen a white one.

Reaction score
Fear not! I cannot walk a single step, certainly not climb stairs, so I have glass doors from my ground level bedroom onto the deck. [It is about a foot off the ground so that it matches the height of the doors.]
And the raised pond [of some sort!] will be adjacent to the deck, not on it...

Reaction score
What do you think of this?
http://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/bottle_bins/bottle_bin_-_400_litres
Without wheels.
And would it be better in black or dark green? [I'm thinking black.]
What a great idea for you to enjoy a pond! I would make sure the container can handle the elements and pressure of water on the walls, so it doesn't bow out. The stock tanks are made for weather and water pressure. It would be something to consider to buy the product that is made for the job instead of trying something else that isn't made for the specific need. It's all info to research! Keep us updated with pictures of your build!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would go for a stock tank of some sort, unless you know the sides of the plastic bin are made really strong. Water is darn heavy and will bow out the sides.

welcome_cat.gif
to our group!

Reaction score
What a great idea for you to enjoy a pond! I would make sure the container can handle the elements and pressure of water on the walls, so it doesn't bow out. The stock tanks are made for weather and water pressure. It would be something to consider to buy the product that is made for the job instead of trying something else that isn't made for the specific need. It's all info to research! Keep us updated with pictures of your build!
Good point. That one does say "bottle bin" so it might not be heavy duty enough.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was just to post the same things :)

Reaction score
I am now looking for a stock tank, with not much success so far! Will keep you posted.
I have also found this - looks pretty, is 60.5cm deep, 1.6m long, 1 m wide [approx 2 feet deep, 5 feet long, 3 feet wide].
But this one has a thin plastic liner, and I am worried that it is not insulated - so not good for fish in winter - and might tear if I put cinder blocks in it. Also, as it is not square, I am not sure how milk crates would fit in?
So, I am still looking!

Last edited:

Ask a Question