Help needed, please - raised pond vs preformed liner!

Reaction score
Here's an open water tank - 41 inches in diameter, 31 inches deep, 100 gallons.

It has an optional insulated jacket, 2 3/8 inches thick. Would it be worth the extra money?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

I am disabled [permanently in a wheelchair] and am about to buy a pond. For good reason [I cannot dig the hole, also I want to be able to see the contents as close as possible] I would like a raised pond next to my low wooden deck.

What I would also like is to have various levels within the pond for different plants. I would love a water lily, and am dithering between fish and wildlife - there is a thriving newt pond in a nearby garden, but that is deep water.
I do not want a pump or fountain.

What I have been looking to buy is a raised pond with a preformed liner so that I can position the plants properly. Unfortunately all I can find is a preformed "wildlife eco" pond [too small, too green plastic], raised ponds which are just tanks [with no levels/ or ways for wildlife to escape], and preformed liners [which are intended to be dug into the ground, and are not a match for the dimensions of raised ponds or raised beds]...

If I could find a preformed liner which fitted into a raised pond I would buy that and hope that floating the liner in the water would provide enough support for plants etc.

Does anyone know if that would work and/ or do you have any other ideas?
Many thanks!

Bethan like yourself Val and I are disabled and we have a raised pond in our back garden Val has Fascioscapularhumeral Muscular Dystrophy I suffer Chronic Ostio Arthritis in both legs as the result of motor cycle accident , I also have fybromyagia a chronic pain condition but am asking to be tested for MS because both conditions mirror each other.
Your asking alot here as I dont think any of the stock tanks have places for you to place plants .
You could build up a frame then place a preformed pond on top of it giving you the edges for your plants (there are black preformed ponds but would have to fill the frame with sand to support the preformed pond, another way to do this would be to buy a stock tank and use floating plant islands which are available on line .
Do you intend to use it as just an eco pond or are you thinking of keeping fish too?
If so your pond would need a pump and filters to help them survive otherwise they would in the end die so theres no way around that I'm affraid.
We keep koi carp and find them very helpful at de stressing from the days trails which all disabled people as you know face, they are a very relaxing fish noted for their colouration and patterns , I find they help me meditate and forget the constant pain I'm in 24/7 365 days a year .
Val finds that they do the same for her and we spend may hours out by the pond in the summer months .
Bethan question you from the UK , if so Blagdon do a range of ponds called affinity ponds that may suit you down to the ground so to speak plus there are others :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FTS-Square-Wicker-Patio-Ponds/dp/B00LX89CSY

I really hope weve been able to help you with your quest here please if you have any other questions please ask

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks dieselpower.

Yes, Dave, I understand the "pain 24/7"! Distraction IS what I am after.
[I have Primary progressive MS, with heart fibrillation and double vision because of that, but also severe osteo-arthritis and osteoporosis, and - just to compound my greed! - I am recovering from a mastectomy and axillary dissection following breast cancer in 2012! Oh and I have peripheral arterial disorder and the only place they can now take blood is inside my right ankle with a paediatric cannula. I have become severely phobic to needles.]
It is lucky that I am the happiest person I know...

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will follow up your thoughts - the floating islands sound interesting.
I was thinking that a stock tank would be rigid enough to bear the weight of blocks to place the plants on, vs a thin liner possibly tearing.
I think I want goldfish, probably fantails - unless they are considerably less 'robust' than a normal goldfish, rather than a wildlife pond. [And I simply don't have enough space for a koi pond.] So I suppose I need the pump after all, though my Mum has kept goldfish in a wooden half-barrel style [about 3 feet in diameter] raised pond for years. She 'inherited' it when she bought her house about 11 years ago, and the goldfish have happily bred there on and off for years. They share the pond with a frog. She has one tiny waterlily
Mind you, she lives on the mild south coast, Brighton, and has a sheltered walled garden that rarely freezes.

I am gradually narrowing down what I want by throwing out what i do NOT want.
Thank you, everyone, for your help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sorry to hear of all of your issues.

Ponds can add some nice comfort just watching the fish swim around. If you are in a cold area, fan tails might not be the best choice. I have heard they are not as hardy as goldfish / shubunkins. Shubunkins will give you some great colors, stay on the small side and seem to breed slower than goldfish.

I have two stock tank ponds as well as a liner pond. The stock tanks are pretty tough. I yanked one out with a back hoe, it held up well except the one hole I put in it with one of the tongs. They will handle blocks with no issue, just make sure the bottom is on flat land I put rock dust under my big tank (1000 gallon) kept smoothing it until the it was well supported. Sand would work too.

I was thinking that a stock tank would be rigid enough to bear the weight of blocks to place the plants on, vs a thin liner possibly tearing.

Reaction score
I agree, shubunkins are a nice change of pace from the goldies. I have both and enjoy both as equal. Have fun with this project, you will certainly spend many hours watching the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love the shubbies too and also the solid white goldfish, oh and the oj/white patterned ones too. Not real fond of the solid oj short tailed ones but love all of them w/ the long flowing tails. The cute fat one's w/ the fantails would be fun to have but like addy said I'm not sure they would do well in my pond in a really cold winter.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your support and help! SO much appreciated. Will look at Shubunkins now... and possibly a couple of ordinary goldfish just for variety! i seem to remember that goldfish lose any black markings as they age...
[I did fear the fancy ones would be less hardy!]

Reaction score
They would be.. Unless you would have a very deep pond. I have one Fancytail gf, but my pond is 5 foot deep and she did fine last winter. And actually this last year was the worst winter we've had in a long time and I didn't have a heater so I was very happy she survived. :) It looks like you're heading in the right direction as far as a container. My two cents, keep in mind as you choose, that there needs to be water flow to every area of the pond. This keeps waste from accumulating in any one part of the pond and circulating through your filter to be disposed of :)

Reaction score
Get the biggest container you can get to fit the area!!! You will not be sorry, if you go small you will wish it was bigger 2 seconds after it is up and running!!! Been there!!

Reaction score

I've always been so independent. But you are right, there is probably someone out there willing to help. The magic will be in finding them!

Also, I have very little money, and feel awkward about asking for help when the only recipient will be me [and not a whole nursing home]!

Hi don't be scared to ask people to help, I have gotten to the stage with my Parkinson's were on occasion I have had to bite the bullet and ask for a hand and it is surprising who comes and gives a hand. Have you looked to see if you can buy a second hand rigid liner pond . That is what I will be using when I start my project in the next few weeks and I would have to say the people on this site are great, they are very passionate about ponds and also very helpfull. Just ask the question and read the helpfull replies.

Cheers Shakey

Reaction score
The other thing I thought about to save you some money would be an old bath tub as looking at those tanks above they are about the same shape and on a deck if they were braised properly you would be able to move your wheel chair around them to doe things and enjoy your pond . A cheap wooden frame could be used to hide the bath which with help to get it put in place you could finish of the wood work your self.i only say this as I was in an electric wheel chair for 6 months before I had an operation to get me back mobile on my feet , good luck with your project

Ask a Question