Help needed, please - raised pond vs preformed liner!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bethan, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Bethan

Lisaebetten

Get the biggest container you can get to fit the area!!! You will not be sorry, if you go small you will wish it was bigger 2 seconds after it is up and running!!! Been there!!

Lisaebetten, Oct 13, 2014
    Shakey likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Bethan

Dave 54

Maintenence would be a problem for Bethen Lisa

Dave

Dave 54, Oct 14, 2014
    Shakey likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Bethan

Lisaebetten

I just didn't want her to get a small stock tank when she may be able to get some more gallons to enjoy more pond life. I have read she is limited in her work.

Lisaebetten, Oct 14, 2014
    Shakey likes this.
  4. Bethan

Shakey

Hi don't be scared to ask people to help, I have gotten to the stage with my Parkinson's were on occasion I have had to bite the bullet and ask for a hand and it is surprising who comes and gives a hand. Have you looked to see if you can buy a second hand rigid liner pond . That is what I will be using when I start my project in the next few weeks and I would have to say the people on this site are great, they are very passionate about ponds and also very helpfull. Just ask the question and read the helpfull replies.

Cheers Shakey

Shakey, Oct 31, 2014
    HARO and Dave 54 like this.
  5. Bethan

Shakey

The other thing I thought about to save you some money would be an old bath tub as looking at those tanks above they are about the same shape and on a deck if they were braised properly you would be able to move your wheel chair around them to doe things and enjoy your pond . A cheap wooden frame could be used to hide the bath which with help to get it put in place you could finish of the wood work your self.i only say this as I was in an electric wheel chair for 6 months before I had an operation to get me back mobile on my feet , good luck with your project

Shakey, Oct 31, 2014
    HARO, Dave 54 and tbendl like this.
  6. Bethan

TAHOE

I am on the other side of the fence that you can use a preformed liner above ground....if the proper support is built around it. We use one for our indoor turtle pond. I originally just cut out the shape and slid liner down through hole thinking the bottom sitting on the floor and the lip around top would support it. I learned quickly we needed support around the middle as weight of water began to bow the center section out which then pulled top lip toward middle and down. We then took another pice of plywood, cut out the center so that is would slide up around pond to shelf level. We cut 2x4's to keep plywood in position and it also helped support shelves at the same time. While we used plywood, you could use treated lumber to build a skeleton around the liner for support, but for sideways and shelf support. You could then build covering around it to make it look nice. Insulating around it will help in winter, but you will still need a heater also as stated earlier.

There are some youtube videos of people showing how to build supports when using liners above ground. That's how I got my ideas to use ours.

Here is our indoor pond with liner and plywood supports.

[​IMG]

TAHOE, Nov 3, 2014
    Dave 54 and Shakey like this.
  7. Bethan

Dave 54

Nothing wrong with building the support structure around a liner Tahoe even with our free standing pond of heavy welded platic construct we still put a frame in place around the pond all be it for looks over support but it does add some at the same time as though not as much as you would be supporting with your own constuction
    May I ask a question about your turtles just how big do you think they would get too ?
    Ours got to the size of a good sized dinner plate so just how high and how strong is the glass on your pond for them, it may just be the light but the glass looks awfully thin my friend ?.

Dave

Dave 54, Nov 4, 2014
    Shakey likes this.
  8. Bethan

TAHOE

You are very observant there Dave.
    I know very well the size the turtles will get. They are actually my son's, the two yellow belly sliders he has are already about 8" across, they will be re-homed soon as he is downsizing his animal collection. He also has paints, they are only 5-6" and won't get a whole lot larger.
    The plexiglass is thin 1/16" or 2 mm, but has not been an issue. Turtles only get out to bask and have never tried to climb that we know of. We have more issues with our cat climbing on the glass than the turtles.
    For the turtles he will be keeping, the glass and sides are plenty high. If not, we will make adjustments to prevent any escapes.

TAHOE, Nov 5, 2014
    Dave 54 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question