Help needed with filter and pump selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have am renovating the ponds at my in-laws. They have 1 large pond, split into 3 separate areas, and one feeds the other via a small overflow. Volume in total roughly 40,000L. So i have two ideas, the 1st is to get a 40,000L filter with 16,000L pump and take pump water from the end pond through the filter to the 1st pond, but I’m concerned this will not keep the bottom of each pond clean, or, 2nd idea, still have 40,000L filter but have 3, 5000L pumps, one in each area flowing through a manifold with non-return valves in the filter? What are your thoughts please or any other ideas welcome?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
leaves.gif
@SamDavies

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't have that kind of ponds going into other ponds so can't help ya w/that one. Hope somebody comes by to help you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi All,

I have am renovating the ponds at my in-laws. They have 1 large pond, split into 3 separate areas, and one feeds the other via a small overflow. Volume in total roughly 40,000L. So i have two ideas, the 1st is to get a 40,000L filter with 16,000L pump and take pump water from the end pond through the filter to the 1st pond, but I’m concerned this will not keep the bottom of each pond clean, or, 2nd idea, still have 40,000L filter but have 3, 5000L pumps, one in each area flowing through a manifold with non-return valves in the filter? What are your thoughts please or any other ideas welcome?
if you want some viable help try and get a picture of the pond and the set up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The first thing you should know is most of your filters slightly exaggerate how may gallons they can efficiently filter.

Second question is how serious are they about there fish do they have koi that they spent big money for, or do they have domestic koi and gold fish.

Is the pond a raised pond with a liner or concrete?

is there a main drain and skimmer ?

of just a pump sitting on the bottom of the pond?

rock on the bottom of the pond.?

For you blokes on that side of the pond , Top shelf would be a RDF : Rotating drum filter, with a fluid bed and a Bakki shower.

Old school is the skippy filters and a sieve filter . but the skippy is a lot of maintenance.

Then theres the bead filters a mix of all and can be flushed in 5 to 15 minutes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One possible solution to this problem would be to install a water level control system. This can be done by using a float switch or a water level sensor that is connected to a valve or pump. When the water level in the pond rises due to rain, the sensor will detect the change and activate the valve or pump to release some of the excess water. This will help to keep the water level steady and prevent flooding. Additionally, regular maintenance such as cleaning the bottom of the ponds and removing debris can also help to keep the water clean.

Ask a Question