Help spent 18k and pond leaks

Reaction score
HI GUYS! here's what my rep, Randy Lontz at Spray-Lining & Coatings sent me: "I now have 4 different ponds & reading from experienced pond enthusiasts helps my family AND my career. I built all from the ground up, 2 have cascades & all have just 4 to 8 Koi, seemingly all with individual behavior. Please feel free to ask me anything, & if your pond doesn't leak you won't need my career exp. I worked for over 18 years at Spray-Lining & Coatings. So career-wise there's likely no waterscape I cannot detect source of leakage in or know locations to repair. SLC is at www.spray-lining.com - With rebuilds especially I've heard serious complaints, bad reviews & downright scams by coating's "professionals". Even retail pond supply businesses can have sensitive reputations when it comes to "lining complaints". That's where I'd help you most, i.e. repairing or preventing leaks. You can call SLC or email them, ask for Randy Lontz if you need facts...
Latest Polyurea work on Koi Pond Video looks like this-
" Hope this helps, thanking entirely!
I have no leaks but I'm curious as to how much this costs to do say a 20x20 foot liner.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wonder what happened to the poster ,nothing since .

Same as a great many other posters to forums. They get an answer to their question and never look back. Never had any intention of becoming a permanent member nor feel the need to inform forum members of the eventual outcome of their issue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sad but true and it could help others with a leak or a bad pond builder and what to look out for

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems EPDM under polyurea helps for extra thick seal. My son who applies SLC works for Flexible Lining Systems. Between pond owner neighbors and my son, EPDM works but anything made of rubber breaks down pretty quick. My original pond's EPDM from Firestone got brittle, cracked, leaked. That was before the boy became a spray lining coatings applicator. I assume if EPDM can be sprayed or rolled it may be better than those 45-60 mil sheets. But so far polyurea was the only coating that did not decompose over time. I visited pondpro2000.com-got msds(chemical specs)- got this scary stuff: "HEALTH HAZARDS (ACUTE AND CHRONIC), Overexposure can lead to Central Nervous System Depression producing effects such as headache, dizziness, nausea and loss of consciousness.CARCINOGENICITY: NTP? NO IARC MONOGRAPHS? NO OSHA REGULATED? YES Contains cobalt, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects and is subject to the requirements of California Proposition 65. MEDICAL CONDITIONS GENERALLY AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE, Conditions aggravated by exposure may include skin and respiratory disorders." Yikes! EPDM once dry in the sheets isn't dangerous but as a spray that may be superior. I know that "pure" polyurea is also carcinogenic (needs respirator, protective clothes) to spray. This "polyurea hybrid" I still use is a spray lining and coating that's safe, however. Don't need to apply the spray-lining over Firestone or other EPDM sheets either. I think SLC has a roll on polyurea hybrid now too. Linda Robert appears like an advertisement but the idea of spray-lining or roll-lining EPDM may help if it wasn't hazardous.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It seems EPDM under polyurea helps for extra thick seal. My son who applies SLC works for Flexible Lining Systems. Between pond owner neighbors and my son, EPDM works but anything made of rubber breaks down pretty quick. My original pond's EPDM from Firestone got brittle, cracked, leaked. That was before the boy became a spray lining coatings applicator. I assume if EPDM can be sprayed or rolled it may be better than those 45-60 mil sheets. But so far polyurea was the only coating that did not decompose over time. I visited pondpro2000.com-got msds(chemical specs)- got this scary stuff: "HEALTH HAZARDS (ACUTE AND CHRONIC), Overexposure can lead to Central Nervous System Depression producing effects such as headache, dizziness, nausea and loss of consciousness.CARCINOGENICITY: NTP? NO IARC MONOGRAPHS? NO OSHA REGULATED? YES Contains cobalt, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects and is subject to the requirements of California Proposition 65. MEDICAL CONDITIONS GENERALLY AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE, Conditions aggravated by exposure may include skin and respiratory disorders." Yikes! EPDM once dry in the sheets isn't dangerous but as a spray that may be superior. I know that "pure" polyurea is also carcinogenic (needs respirator, protective clothes) to spray. This "polyurea hybrid" I still use is a spray lining and coating that's safe, however. Don't need to apply the spray-lining over Firestone or other EPDM sheets either. I think SLC has a roll on polyurea hybrid now too. Linda Robert appears like an advertisement but the idea of spray-lining or roll-lining EPDM may help if it wasn't hazardous.

Many things are hazardous to health during application, most notable insecticides/herbicides. That certainly hasn't curtailed their application. I would bet that EPDM in liquid or vaporous form is not even close to the toxicity of most insecticides/herbicides.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw on this old house they used a liguid spray on 45 mil spray to seal up a rock and new basement foundation

Ask a Question