Help with a PVC pipe DIY [non-pond] project -- involves math

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I want to make a mini-hammock for the cats, and the frame would be roughly similar to the picture.

Are there any mathematical [my WORST subject ever!] computations that I need to be aware of that will assure [ha!] the frame is structurally sound -- you know, that stuff about forces being exerted and doing this or that? IOW, what needs to be the relationship between the length & width of the base and the length of the "arms"?

Or am I way over thinking this? :hungover:

image.jpg

I got this pic off the web. My PVC frame will also have cross pieces of pipe [width], which this pic doesn't show.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 213

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
image.jpg
How many cats will this accommodate? How fat are the cats?
I don't think more than 2 will ever be on it at the same time. We have 5 cats ranging from ~10# to ~15#. Biggest single cat is ~15#, and combined weights of the two that would snuggle together is ~23#.

Marshall (13#) was looking over my shoulder just now and he said he resents being labeled as fat.... He says to tell you that "even the BIGGEST one of us actually IS a large cat!" :bored: Silly Marshall! Who knew cats cared.....

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It wasn't the math it was the building of lounge furniture for furry creatures that had me worried.... :)
Ok and jealous, I'll admit it....
Ooh! I thought everyone with cats understood..... Never mind! One can never have enough cat beds, but floor space is over run with AMAZON boxes (aka, cat beds), so I thought of going vertical. Not to mention how much fun Hubby & I will have watching the kitties get into and out of the hammock :ROFLMAO: (see, I'm not the sweet person everyone thought I was, bwaa ha ha! :devil:)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
See!!! I want my babies to be that relaxed, LOL!

Oh, I Googled again and found an instructable for making almost the identical frame you first posted -- it's for your American Girl doll [if you have one of those]. It might be a little too small, easy to remedy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Are there any mathematical [my WORST subject ever!] computations that I need to be aware of that will assure [ha!] the frame is structurally sound -- you know, that stuff about forces being exerted and doing this or that?
That math would be a nightmare even if you could find structural data for PVC pipe. It probably doesn't exist. Easy to determine by experiment. Clamp the end of the pipe in a vice. The length doesn't matter. Hang a weight equal to the force you expect to be exerted (about the weight of both cats). Measure the length of pipe from vice to weight and divide by 20 (that's 5%). The pipe shouldn't deflect more than that. If never exposed to sunlight you can probably get away with 10%. That's for the pipe at the ends. To test the pipe for the long pieces, support it at both ends and hang the weight from the middle. Again the length of the test piece doesn't matter. The cross pieces can be much, much smaller.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As the housekeeper of 3 furry friends, you know they will probably never use it if you put any amount of time into building it. It seems the cost and time spent building things for them is directly related to how much they will ignore it! Don't you have regular beds? That's where my children sleep! I bought one of those window seats for them. It didn't last 15 minutes, seems it wasn't designed to handle 3 cats ranging fron 12#- 23# at the same time.

Ask a Question