Help with External Filter

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Hi,

I still don't have a filter for my 300 + gallon pond wi goldfish and a few aquatic plants. Pedro (who was supposed to do this) is m.i.a. and I'm done waiting.

Ok, does it matter what size it is? I need a good price and virtually no maintenance. Feedback, please, stat!

Thank you from beautiful Pacific Grove

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
How loaded is your pond? Is there already lots of detritus on the bottom and how many fish do you have?
Do you have any circulation in there aready? Waterfall?
Any filter is going to require maintenance.
A picture would help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Hi Mitch! Thank you so much for replying. I looked at the video - it is too much for me to physically do.

Currently, I have 8 or 9 little goldfish (3 are shubunkin), a few cambocha and anachris down below, some old parrots feather now covered w/ fish muck (new are on the way), a little snowflake and an itty bitty new lotus in a large raised (to the right level) planting bag with rinsed pebbles and then aquatic planting "soil." I lost one fish :-( when I fed them old pellets. Back to fresh flakes now. Otherwise, the fish and floating water hyacinths are thriving. The latter have doubled in size in two weeks. I also have a small lily (raised to the right level) in aquatic soil. And the cat tail rushes of many years are doing great.

I have 2 small aerators in there. The external pump was gunked up but when I turned it on again today it is working - not enough, though, to reattach the fountainhead.

Weeks ago, the pond was drained and de-gunkified with the right water conditioners added. I can almost see the bottom now but a filter is needed.

So, with a little over 300 gal. of water, am I limited re size of external filter or can I go larger?

Also, I need to go less expensive than the filter you pointed out. Sorry, I don't have the energy right now to do photo ops out there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The filter I highlighted is about the simplest filter cleaning task method I could think of.
It was rated for about 1000 gallons. You can always get an oversize filter for a pond, but the cost will increase.
DIY filters are cheaper but require much more dexterity.
What is your budget for a filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Hi Mitch :) Thank you for responding! I definitely want to stay below $400. If possible. That's a push as I haven't been able to work in a year.

So 1,000 filter isn't too big for a 300 gallon pond? Is there one that just back flushes without having to go back and forth from the outside of the fence to inside and up the stairs where the switch is?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The one that I posted was listed as new for $545, so it's close.
Maybe have a look through some classifieds for a used one.
Canister filters can be located almost anywhere, but I don't know what your layout is, so it's hard to say how you could plumb one in to your setup.
Ratings for filters are only a general guideline, and even if you get one that is rated for a larger pond, it would be a benefit that it would not need to be cleaned as often.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you checked ebay or amazon you may find it cheaper at one of those places .Webbs water gardens online has great prices and so does foster and smith and pet solutions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
image.jpg
Mitch and Sissy,
Thank you both so much for responding! I'll now move forward on this. I thank you,
My plants thank you. We now understand cost AND size!
And my little Shubies thank you! Also my greyhound Gertie who loves to drink the pond water! You are our new BFFs!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
There are other flushable canister filters on the market, some have levers, some have knobs.
There are also some lower priced units around, I have been told.
I hope you find something that suits you.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Hi,

I still don't have a filter for my 300 + gallon pond wi goldfish and a few aquatic plants. Pedro (who was supposed to do this) is m.i.a. and I'm done waiting.

Ok, does it matter what size it is? I need a good price and virtually no maintenance. Feedback, please, stat!

Thank you from beautiful Pacific Grove

The external filter I use is easy to use and very effective. The only problem may be the low volume of water coming from your current pump. Check out this Link 1. Btw, my pump is mated to work with my recommended bio-filter. See Link 2 for my pump. Fosters & Smith has outstanding customer support. I recommend you also contact them for additional guidance regarding a filter unit. See Link 3 for Customer Service: Contact Us detailed information.

Good luck!

Link 1
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20057

Link 2
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20126

Link 3
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/General.cfm?gid=314

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Hi Lou!

Thank you very much! 2 More questions, please:

1. Do you prefer the Ultima II or the Tetra?

2. How do I measure the pipe size - straight ruler outside to outside; straight ruler inside to inside: Cloth tape measure circling it?

Ok, Even though I said 2

3. If I somehow needed a 1 1/2 rather than for a 2 inch, or visa versa, is there a way to compensate after the fact?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Hi Lou!

Thank you very much! 2 More questions, please:

1. Do you prefer the Ultima II or the Tetra?

2. How do I measure the pipe size - straight ruler outside to outside; straight ruler inside to inside: Cloth tape measure circling it?

Ok, Even though I said 2

3. If I somehow needed a 1 1/2 rather than for a 2 inch, or visa versa, is there a way to compensate after the fact?

Thank you!
It's best to use recommended size pipe or tubing. I like to use the largest recommended sized. Devices generally come have an output that tiers down from largest to smallest size. After selecting the appropriate size you cut the tiered adapter to the corresponding size. Every pipe will be listed by size. The size is generally the inside dimension (ID). I am not familiar with Ultimat II. Consult customer service and other members of this forum. What is the Ultima II?

Continued best to you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pipes are measure and listed as inside diameter ID and outside diameter OD .Most external filters come with an adapter for different sizes and you just cut it to the size you need .I don't really think I have ever seen one come with 1 size .But to be safe who ever you buy it from you can call or ask online .Most hoses are ID measures

Ask a Question