Help with flow problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I've been reading these forums and am so impressed with the help people offer. I wonder if anyone can give me some advice about fountain we have in our little garden wildlife pond. It has a pump that takes in water from underneath a filtering gravel-covered mat on the bottom of the pond, and then propels the water through a plastic and then some copper pipiping into a barrel, where it creates a little vertical jet of water that then creates a nice waterfall down the side of the barrel. When it was installed it was lovely, but over time the flow rate has got worse and worse and now it's barely a trickle. The person who installed insists it's just a matter of clearing the filter of weeds and algae, but I've disconnected the intake hose and run it with intake straight from the pond and the flow rate remains terrible. I don't think it's the pump itself, which seems to propel water pretty well if I disconnect it from the fountain. I think that there's probably an air bubble in the copper pipe from the pump to the fountain jet, which goes through some right angles and horizontals. But I don't know how to clear any such air bubbles, and if it's not that I have no idea what it is. I know that some of you are experts on pumps—might you be able to advise me, please? We want to fix this before spring gets going in earnest so that the water doesn't stagnate...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Definitely no expert, is it possible there could be some buildup in the copper pipe? You mention right turns in that pipe and that could slow down the flow or something is stuck in there. What size is the pipe? Also pictures help and someone else here will have better answers for you.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomesign4.gif
@PhilGarden
Yep could just be a clogged pipe. Would be good if you could snake something through it or use a powerful blast of water. Not sure if this is possible for you tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and then some copper
For such a small pump i would suspect a magnetic drive. These are a magnet of a spindle that is between magnets and when the power is turned on it similar to when you try to put two magnets together they fight to repel from one another. if you take the screen protector off youll see a little turbine that is generally attached to the same spine i mentioned . the magnets can get bound up with hair algae or even plants. pull the spindle out and clean the magnet around the spindle. the picture i realy want to show will not load it can be found at the link bellow another common issue is the little rubber cap that holds the spindle they need replacing after time as well. https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Impell...88-9857-f776a6c3e7e8&pd_rd_i=B000255QWA&psc=1
1708265462260.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone! The pump appears to work fine—I've disconnected it and tested it. So I think it's most likely something in the pipe from the pump to the fountain. I don't have anything that would snake around that pipe that I could use to clear blockages, but I've tried just blowing very hard down it, and there doesn't seem to be any obstruction when I do that. That's what led me to conclude that it was most likely an air bubble (presumably made worse by my blowing down it!). If that's right, what to do?

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Thanks everyone! The pump appears to work fine—I've disconnected it and tested it. So I think it's most likely something in the pipe from the pump to the fountain. I don't have anything that would snake around that pipe that I could use to clear blockages, but I've tried just blowing very hard down it, and there doesn't seem to be any obstruction when I do that. That's what led me to conclude that it was most likely an air bubble (presumably made worse by my blowing down it!). If that's right, what to do?

You could just disconnect the piping, then thread a coat hanger or similar through it, with a piece of string tied to it. Then you can tie a bit of cloth to the string and pull it through to clear the pipe. But it might be worth replacing the pipe with something with a larger diameter, such a pvc flex pipe (which you can generally find at spa stores or pond stores). Photos would help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One trick a muggle can use that we in the trades use is to use a string like @YShahar SUGGESTED BUT MAKE A BALL JUST A LITTLE SMALLER THAN YOUR PIPE then use a vacuum on the opposite end pulling the string through . if it works theres no clog . if it doesn't then just use the string without the ball and suck that through. then once through make your ball and pull it back through. Shop vacs work best don't ruin a good rug vacuum.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
One trick a muggle can use that we in the trades use is to use a string like @YShahar SUGGESTED BUT MAKE A BALL JUST A LITTLE SMALLER THAN YOUR PIPE then use a vacuum on the opposite end pulling the string through . if it works theres no clog . if it doesn't then just use the string without the ball and suck that through. then once through make your ball and pull it back through. Shop vacs work best don't ruin a good rug vacuum.
Well, that's clever! It would certainly save time cleaning out the barrel of a .50 cal, but would probably lead to some unfortunate repercussions if I were caught doing it... ;-)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, that's clever! It would certainly save time cleaning out the barrel of a .50 cal, but would probably lead to some unfortunate repercussions if I were caught doing it... ;-)
Only my friend from the East would have an issue, any issue with a 50 cal. Not many here have ever seen one, let alone cleaned or shot one.

Ask a Question