Help with Garden Koi pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It makes a weird noise until I clean out the skimmer basket which I have been doing daily.

It sounds to me like your skimmer basket is getting clogged and that "weird noise" is the pump sucking in a mixture of air and water. So what is/was clogging up the skimmer basket? Is it leaves or parts of plants floating away or what?

I hope we can get you back to minimal maintenance so you can enjoy your backyard oasis again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That’s the exact noise it makes. It was always leaves, string algae and just a lot of muck in the skimmer basket and media filter. I never remember having to clean it on a daily basis...sometimes even twice a day. That’s why I was convinced I needed the cleaning. I have a bag of lava rocks and a bag of bio balls on top of water fall and the green matala media filter behind the skimmer basket. That’s all for filters. Usually that’s enough.

Reaction score
Country
United States
what size and design are your bog filters? They should be enough such that you don't need the Matala. Perhaps you just needed the fall cleanup (manually, with a net)? Most here with bogs don't use any other filter.

I just attached some pics. The pond is about 12x15 and oval shaped. I really know nothing about bog filters just learned about it from this forum.

Attachments

• 23D1C694-5912-41EE-BBA4-452D7D482FCE.jpeg
    23D1C694-5912-41EE-BBA4-452D7D482FCE.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 56
  • E845FB7C-2BAE-4B83-AE33-46034BD83AED.jpeg
    E845FB7C-2BAE-4B83-AE33-46034BD83AED.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 63
  • 85DAB4B8-7CF0-4ECA-9995-4E87136BD2A1.jpeg
    85DAB4B8-7CF0-4ECA-9995-4E87136BD2A1.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 56
  • AADAF461-2137-42F5-A27F-C3ADC7AC55AA.jpeg
    AADAF461-2137-42F5-A27F-C3ADC7AC55AA.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your pond is beautiful! Welcome to the GPF! You'll get lots of great, friendly advice here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just attached some pics. The pond is about 12x15 and oval shaped. I really know nothing about bog filters just learned about it from this forum.
I'd investigate your bogs and make sure they're up and running. Then I'd ditch the waterfall filter. If you're getting a clogged situation there, I'm betting your pump (which supplies the waterfall filter) is pulling from the pond bottom; raise it 12" and the clogging should disappear. Be prepared to do an autumn cleaning or keep a net on during that time to keep leaves from making a mess. As long as the bogs are working, you have the filtration you need. It's possible they too are clogged but you won't know until you do a little digging. If you need help, post back with pics and the BFC (bog filter club) members here will help you get 'er back into shape. Pj's the president but we all pitch in!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you!
Hi Lynette. Welcome to gpf! It looks like you got a lot of good advice already. Honestly I would trust the people who are making comments on GPF much more than random things you might read on the internet about pond and fish care. It sounds like with the work you did your pond should be okay in a short time. You may want to read up about the nitrogen cycle so you have a better understanding of what the good bacteria do. Basically it is converting harmful wastes into more inert type materials that plants can absorb. A well planned pond can go for a long time with minimal maintenance. When you get a chance post some pictures of your fish. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd investigate your bogs and make sure they're up and running. Then I'd ditch the waterfall filter. If you're getting a clogged situation there, I'm betting your pump (which supplies the waterfall filter) is pulling from the pond bottom; raise it 12" and the clogging should disappear. Be prepared to do an autumn cleaning or keep a net on during that time to keep leaves from making a mess. As long as the bogs are working, you have the filtration you need. It's possible they too are clogged but you won't know until you do a little digging. If you need help, post back with pics and the BFC (bog filter club) members here will help you get 'er back into shape. Pj's the president but we all pitch in!

The cleanup has seemed to have helped with clogging the pump and filling filters with a ton of muck. But now I am really curious about the bog filtration. I think I misspoke about the bog filtration. Im actually not certain if I have that or not. I assumed that having bog plants was the same as having bog filtration. I have two areas of dense bog plants. On one side of pond I have water iris and water plantains. On opposite side I have pickerel plants. Both sides are in the pond just elevated. I did find a green covered container inside my mulch. I took a picture of it. I thought it was for my waterfall at first but maybe its the bog filtration. It looks like a valve with three pipes. Right now it is closed. I will post a picture. Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5413.jpg
    IMG_5413.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm assuming your pump is in the pond. If so, try to keep it off the bottom so it won't pull in any debris that may collect down there.
I have a string tied to mine to hold it up and it's tied to a big rock on the shore.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Lynette. Welcome to gpf! It looks like you got a lot of good advice already. Honestly I would trust the people who are making comments on GPF much more than random things you might read on the internet about pond and fish care. It sounds like with the work you did your pond should be okay in a short time. You may want to read up about the nitrogen cycle so you have a better understanding of what the good bacteria do. Basically it is converting harmful wastes into more inert type materials that plants can absorb. A well planned pond can go for a long time with minimal maintenance. When you get a chance post some pictures of your fish. Good luck!

Thank you! I have been reading non stop since joining the forum so will definitely look up nitrogen cycle. I've attached some pics of fish although they are not very clear. I have two Koi and one goldfish, I believe. One Koi is all golden yellow, the other is white with blue and orange spots. The goldfish is blue/greyish.

Attachments

• IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5421.jpg
    IMG_5421.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5416.jpg
    IMG_5416.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5415.jpg
    IMG_5415.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 47

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only goldfish, but to me all of yours look like koi.

Welcome to our forum!

We love helping so keep asking we will help.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thank you! I have been reading non stop since joining the forum so will definitely look up nitrogen cycle. I've attached some pics of fish although they are not very clear. I have two Koi and one goldfish, I believe. One Koi is all golden yellow, the other is white with blue and orange spots. The goldfish is blue/greyish.
All 3 are koi!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to know! . I warned you all in my intro I am truly just learning. We did have a goldfish along with 4 other small koi that got eaten by a heron a few years ago. But thanks, now I know,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like you might have a passive bog system vs. active. No problem with that. Active bogs work better, but they're more complicated.

A few folks have asked if your pump is on the bottom of the pond, but since you have a skimmer, I'd imagine the pump is in the skimmer box, correct?

Ask a Question