Help with initial pond - basic filter requirements

Reaction score
Recently bought an Aqua UV Ultima II 2000 bead filter for our pond. I wanted something that would take care of the fines which it does amazingly well. They are spendy though. this is really my only hobby so my wife goes easy on me most of the time.

I also like having two filtration systems. The other one is an EasyPro medium filterfalls. Means two pumps, but if one fails I'm not in disaster mode; we have a pretty heavy fish load.

I tried to find that Laguna 4200 in the recent past when folks were talking it up, but I couldn't. The EasyPro 4700s I'm using run at 280 watts each.

Reaction score

Attachments

• tank.gif
    tank.gif
    79.6 KB · Views: 298
Reaction score
since the front of it is covered by the waterfall stones I can't see if it's the old one or the new one. But that's still a fantastic price.

Reaction score
I'm not sure which version it is. They had a board with pictures and prices. It was kinda high and the picture was small, but I zoned in on the print and it said that it was a 100gal. I wasn't in the market for one, but it caught my eye as I know some on the forum use them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
either style works fine..you just have to put your bottom media rack on legs in the newer one. but i think the newer version has longer flat sides so if you build a filter with a waterfall weir like i did you can go wider with it.

Reaction score
that sounds right koiguy. I think the older version is still easier to work with and the one the ponders still try to get their hands on...it's just very hard to still find them. And when you do, they are certainly morethan $69 bucks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I just checked them out and it does not look like they ship. The closest store to me is several hundred dollars in gas away.

Reaction score
Quick question about the Laguna 4200 pump. Mine is to be delivered on Wednesday and I was wondering what sized pipe you guys are using. I would like to use flexible PVC because I will be taking it out during the winter and I don't have my waterfall done yet so I need options.

The largest size flexible PVC at Lowe's and HD is 1.25". Where have you guys found larger sizes and what do you recommend for this pump?

Thanks!

Reaction score
The 4200 uses either 1.25 or 1.50 hosing. It is always best to go with the largest hose possible as it eliminates any flow restriction.

You live very close to several watergarden/pond shops that should carry the 1 1/2" hose. There is Holland's Watergardens that looks to be about 30 minutes from McKean.

Do a google search to see if you can find others. But I would call Holland's to see if they carry the larger hose. Best to cut out any friction that a smaller hose will create.

What did you decide on the filter? Are you going with the filter falls or doing a DIY barrel?

Reaction score
The EasyPro 4700 has a 1.5 inch outlet and a 2 in inlet. For the outlet, I used an adapter and went with 2" flexible PVC. Like KoiKeeper says, with each decrease in diameter you pay a bit in "head" or flow resistance. It get's to be fairly significant over much distance.

BTW, I don't know if you've ever worked with the flexible PVC hose, but if you haven't you might be surprised at how inflexible it is. If you can, get it out in the sun and let it really warm up. Then it's much easier to mold to your design needs.

Reaction score
Ok - we have a pump and a some flexible PVC! I got some 1.5" spiral flex and the pump works great. I don't have the big waterfall done so I just put the pump in the lower pond and the pump water into the upper pond. This results in a very nice waterfall over the large spillway between the two ponds.

I do have one concern though. When I get the waterfall up and running, I am worried the pump will overwhelm it. I plan on having roughly 20" wide stones and will either use a 55 gallon drum or the Laguna FilterFalls as the reservoir. Are any of you guys limiting the pump flow to your water falls/filter?

Ask a Question