Help with UVC & Filters please!!!!

Reaction score
HI Guys(and girls)

I am fairly new to the ponk keeping hobby and in need of a little help.

I have a hozelock cascade filter/pump and as the water is green decided to purchase a UVC(Hozelock vorton 14000).
I won this in an auction but along with the uvc came a bio filter and one of those that you put in a hole in the ground.

Now I know the uvc is electric powered but not sure about the other two.
Does the uvc go in the pond or outside of it?
what is the best way to set up these three new filters?

Any help with any of these questions much much much appreciated.

KInd Regards

Rob

Reaction score
HI Guys(and girls)

I am fairly new to the ponk keeping hobby and in need of a little help.

I have a hozelock cascade filter/pump and as the water is green decided to purchase a UVC(Hozelock vorton 14000).
I won this in an auction but along with the uvc came a bio filter and one of those that you put in a hole in the ground.

Now I know the uvc is electric powered but not sure about the other two.
Does the uvc go in the pond or outside of it?
what is the best way to set up these three new filters?

Any help with any of these questions much much much appreciated.

KInd Regards

Rob

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you may have to wait for an answer from someone in the U.K. these arent common U.S products if here at all.
side note: no need to double post your questions...thanx

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you may have to wait for an answer from someone in the U.K. these arent common U.S products if here at all.
side note: no need to double post your questions...thanx

Reaction score
Not sure if its the same thing..
I have had a Bioforce 4500 filter (buried in the ground) for almost 5 years, very fiddly to maintain mine had a UVC inside the filter, did not keep the water clean and blocks very quickly. sponges will need regular cleaning and eventually they compact and need replacement. My view is they are reasonable mechanical filters, though not easy to clean, but biologically no good. how can the air loving bacteria breed in a sealed container?? As a guide mine was meant to do 4500 litres pond and I have about 2500 litres.
What size pond and pump do you have?

Have no knowledge on the Vorton UVC would presume it goes outside the pond.
Best of luck

Reaction score
Not sure if its the same thing..
I have had a Bioforce 4500 filter (buried in the ground) for almost 5 years, very fiddly to maintain mine had a UVC inside the filter, did not keep the water clean and blocks very quickly. sponges will need regular cleaning and eventually they compact and need replacement. My view is they are reasonable mechanical filters, though not easy to clean, but biologically no good. how can the air loving bacteria breed in a sealed container?? As a guide mine was meant to do 4500 litres pond and I have about 2500 litres.
What size pond and pump do you have?

Have no knowledge on the Vorton UVC would presume it goes outside the pond.
Best of luck

Reaction score
THanks for your info guys, I spent a few hours out in the pouring rain last night figuring out how best to rig it all up and managed to get there in the end.
My problem was that the pump was in a boxed housing so thought it just drew in from there but i pulled it out opened the housing up to find it has a hose connector on the inside which made setting up a whole lot easier.

Cheers guys

Rob

Reaction score
THanks for your info guys, I spent a few hours out in the pouring rain last night figuring out how best to rig it all up and managed to get there in the end.
My problem was that the pump was in a boxed housing so thought it just drew in from there but i pulled it out opened the housing up to find it has a hose connector on the inside which made setting up a whole lot easier.

Cheers guys

Rob

Ask a Question