Here I am ready to dive in...

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My husband and I moved into our house last June. We got it because of the beautiful koi pond in the backyard. I'm becoming more and more obsessed with it. I even dream about koi fish. We have a 13 x 15 koi pond that has 2 waterfall features and a smaller pond at the top. Clara and Chloe are our two kohaku japanese koi fish. We had a white koi named Trey, but he just disappeared earlier in the spring. Literally, there is no trace of Trey anywhere. I don't know if a bird or raccoon got to him, but there are no remains. Our fish stayed in the pond over the Iowa winter below the frost line, and it was a thrill to see them swimming around in the spring. Last weekend, I bought some water plants after doing some research about things to keep our water clear. It was clear earlier this spring, but now looks like lake water. I'm doing a clean out this weekend by myself. We hired someone to do it last year. I've been reading and seeing utube videos from some people that don't do a clean out each spring. They rely more on natural products vs chemicals. I'm interested if all different opinions and pointers from experienced people. Thanks for letting me join this group. I hope to learn from you all.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and congrats and all I use is a swimming pool net to take the stuff off the bottom .My pond is 10x25 and so far it has worked for me for 9 years .2 KOI OVER 2 feet long and 15 fish in total and 2 filters .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
to our group!

I have goldfish and shubunkins, you do get hooked on them.

Ask a Question