Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was told hang pieces of Irish spring soup in net bags. I did it when first living here finally just quit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are a few pictures. The first is the cute little tadpoles! The second shows the pickerel, chewed down to nubbins. The third shows the string algae beginning to form at the head of the waterfalls. It has been neat to watch the progression of the water. The thickness is gone and the water looks crystal clear. It is hard to distinguish depth because of the clarity! The last two pictures are before and after shots of securing the liner around the bog. I finally finished that all the way around the pond today!!!!

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 30
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 30
  • pond3.jpg
    pond3.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 32
  • pond4.jpg
    pond4.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 31
  • pond5.jpg
    pond5.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 29
  • pond6.jpg
    pond6.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
And here is something I never thought I would say: I think the pond is a little too big. For the space, anyway. I sort of forgot I "over dug" the hole, intending to just shove the dirt in to meet the rocks. Then I got carried away with the idea of using every last bit of liner to get maximum water volume. It is fine. But I really wanted more planting bed space around it. It will all be great if I can ever get the pond plants to take off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dogs, fence, bullet are the only effective detorents to stop deer. Oh and a bear buy you know that's no help.
There are many deer resistant plants out there but that's only if the deer aren't starving. Otherwise they eat what ever they can find. Heck one of there favorite foods is the blackberry bushes stems , THORNS AND ALL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think the deer here are just on a mission to drive me crazy. They have acres and acres and acres of woodlands and meadows and streams. There are wonderful things to eat everywhere. I feel like they have a master plan to irritate me. :LOL:
Same with the squirrels and our garden and bird feeders years ago. Our kids called them Ninja Squirrels. When the kids were younger and involved in scouting, they planted things for the gardening badge. My oldest chose habanero peppers. (They are actually a very pretty plant to grow.) We also thought the squirrels would leave them alone. Nope. Those southern squirrels like it spicy!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've heard blood meal works but never tried it! Guess they think something was killed there and don't want to be added to the list!
Don't use too much around your plants tho as it can burn them to death and it will attract animals that like to eat meat. Dogs and cats love it! Soooooooooooooo, you need to choose what is best for your situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I've heard blood meal works but never tried it! Guess they think something was killed there and don't want to be added to the list!
Don't use too much around your plants tho as it can burn them to death and it will attract animals that like to eat meat. Dogs and cats love it! Soooooooooooooo, you need to choose what is best for your situation.
I am waiting on a product called (I think) Deer Scram. It got excellent user reviews. One of the ingredients is blood meal. Apparently, the other ingredients work to keep dogs, etc. away from it. I will let everyone know if it helps!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Safer brand Deer-off stakes are filled with dried deer blood. So far they have worked for me. Been using them for at least 5 years. Once they are in, the deer stay away. I have cat mint around my monarch garden, deer don't touch it.
0614220800.jpg
This was before the stakes were put out!

Ask a Question