Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I looked outside to see ALL the leaves eaten and one of the pots totally dumped upside down.
I had a lily on the edge of the pond near the bog, mrs deer inhaled it. Yanked out of the pot had a good munch down.
deer.JPG

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are just in oil pans, I toss osmocote under the kitty litter once a year. That is the extent of my lily care. Even quit grooming them. Maybe next year will groom again (ie dying leaves cut off during the summer)

The only way is wading in, I have, I think, 15 lilies in there. Should have counted when I pulled the pots................

Have some huge colorado tubers I need to get rid of, you are welcome to them, but it is a space hog lily. Blooms multiple pink flowers all summer. A great bloomer and grower
IMG_3420(1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Here are some photos of the monofilament fence. It is difficult to see, which is actually nice for me but probably hard to see in the photos. Down at the far end, where the deer tend to drink, I have actually strung 3 rows of monofilament across. The deer can come to the water to drink, but if they walk in, they cannot go more than about 3 feet without hitting the "fence." I'm hoping this will save the bulk of the lilies. Some new little leaves have started to return. The first photo shows our latest interior improvement in progress. I chose a picture halfway through the job, so you could see the before and after. We had already replaced the wood balusters on the balcony with cable. (I am not a fan of a modern look, but in this case, it makes it so much easier to see! This weekend, we replaced the divided light window inserts with an edge panel that leaves the pane of glass open. It is wonderful! I should be able to take some good pictures, now!
You are so lucky to be able to have such a good view of your whole pond from inside...My yard is flat and level with the house so I cannot see much into the pond from inside:(

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are so lucky to be able to have such a good view of your whole pond from inside...My yard is flat and level with the house so I cannot see much into the pond from inside:(
We can see ours from the house, but down the slope, about 30 feet. We look down on it, can see the fish swimming etc. About 1/3 is hidden by the up slope bank. a 4 foot drop.

I wish we could have had a flat spot and a pond near the house. But I do like ours. The cams give us a constant view.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It works out well. I LOVE to be outside but only when I am working and dirty and sweaty and have on lots of bug spray. If I am clean (and need to stay that way for any reason) I would rather gaze at the pond from inside the AC. It is always so hot, humid, and buggy here, being outside just for social time or relaxation always ends up sweaty and with bug bites. Even though the pond seems to have helped the bug situation, the woods all around are full of them. They always manage to find me!
So - I spend a lot of my pond observation time up in that window!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thank you, GBBUDD!
Today's update -- THOSE GOL' DANGED DEER! There is no sign whatsoever of the multi-row fishing line "fence" being disturbed, and yet....
And yet -- plants have been eaten!!!!! How did they do that? I really can't imagine they would have jumped over into the water, onto the slippery, slimy rocks. None of the rocks look disturbed. But someone munched off all the new lily leaves on one of the plants and they ate a bunch of water willow.
I've heard a rumor that I might be getting a trail cam for a present next month.
It should be very interesting to see what's going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you, GBBUDD!
Today's update -- THOSE GOL' DANGED DEER! There is no sign whatsoever of the multi-row fishing line "fence" being disturbed, and yet....
And yet -- plants have been eaten!!!!! How did they do that? I really can't imagine they would have jumped over into the water, onto the slippery, slimy rocks. None of the rocks look disturbed. But someone munched off all the new lily leaves on one of the plants and they ate a bunch of water willow.
I've heard a rumor that I might be getting a trail cam for a present next month.
It should be very interesting to see what's going on.
It's super interesting to watch & see what's going on. Using my trail camera I discovered it was the rotten squirrels doing the damage to my pickerel rush. Oh, but as far as your deer goes, don't be surprised if you get some "attitude". Before our electric fence went in, I had one walk straight up to the camera & stick her tongue out at me! That's the day she earned the name 'Sassy'. :cautious:
deer brat 01.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When people get all excited about seeing deer in our neighborhood, I"m like "oh no thank you". We had one neighbor who would buy sacks of corn and apples to FEED them. Not smart. They will destroy your landscape in an evening. We used to have a whole herd of them that would wander through on a daily basis but as more homes were built they were less and less present.

Your pond is beautiful @bagsmom ! What a pleasure to enjoy your hard work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
When people get all excited about seeing deer in our neighborhood, I"m like "oh no thank you". We had one neighbor who would buy sacks of corn and apples to FEED them. Not smart. They will destroy your landscape in an evening. We used to have a whole herd of them that would wander through on a daily basis but as more homes were built they were less and less present.

Your pond is beautiful @bagsmom ! What a pleasure to enjoy your hard work!
Thank you!
I have very mixed feelings about the deer. We are right in the middle of our city and I hate all the suburban sprawl. It hurts my heart. Habitat loss is a big problem here. Thank goodness we are right by the national park and that it is protected. The developers around here make me nuts. I feel bad for nature.
I felt like a real weirdo yesterday -- I sprinkled Deer Scram around the pond again and grumbled a lot about the water lilies being eaten. Then I saw Mom and baby in the neighbor's backyard and I got all excited to watch them. The neighbor had taken down some limbs. They were on the ground and the baby (actually a "deer kid" now - spots are almost gone) was totally nervous about the branches. He was curious and sniffing around, then would get freaked out and jump away. It was a hoot.
Apparently, I can't make up my mind when it comes to my attitude on the deer!

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just let them live here. Love watching them, watching the babies play. Yes they eat up stuff, does it bother me a tiny bit (day lily buds munched right off) yes.

We coexist.

They walk right to the house munching. I call them my clean up crew. Usually the "herd" stays in the back field, bedding down, eating. A few wander up the slope and munch.

Raccoons we have a lot, they never bother the ponds or bird feeders.

Ad

Advertisements

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I have very mixed feelings about the deer. We are right in the middle of our city and I hate all the suburban sprawl. It hurts my heart. Habitat loss is a big problem here. Thank goodness we are right by the national park and that it is protected. The developers around here make me nuts. I feel bad for nature.

Absolutely right with you on that! When we first moved into our town, there were still antelope that would occasionally leap across the road in front of the entrance gate. We would hear jackals calling in the evening. And one night I saw a hyena just outside of town. We still have some wild boar, but I haven't seen any antelope in years, let alone hyenas. Nor have I heard the haunting call of the jackals in years.

Part of it is that after the wave of suicide bombings some years back, they built a system of security fences all over the place that divided up the habitats so that animals could no longer cross from one area to another to find a mate. (And any determined human that wanted to cross would still find a way). But there's also been a huge amount of building and urban sprawl that has destroyed habitats all along the coastal plains and the nearby hills.

We do still have rock hyraxes, and they come into the garden every now and again. In fact, I think one of them was in the other night, as I found a whopping big hole dug in part of the garden (still not sure why they dig the way they do). The local Bedouins used to graze their goats on the hillside below our house, but it may be that they are put off by having to cross so many roads to get here now. The grazing was good for preventing brush fires, as goats are enthusiastic (a bit too much so) about getting rid of underbrush. A bit of goat grazing is helpful; too much and you're left with a desert!

But yes, I miss the antelopes and the jackals.

Ask a Question