Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I looked outside to see ALL the leaves eaten and one of the pots totally dumped upside down.
I had a lily on the edge of the pond near the bog, mrs deer inhaled it. Yanked out of the pot had a good munch down.
deer.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are just in oil pans, I toss osmocote under the kitty litter once a year. That is the extent of my lily care. Even quit grooming them. Maybe next year will groom again (ie dying leaves cut off during the summer)

The only way is wading in, I have, I think, 15 lilies in there. Should have counted when I pulled the pots................

Have some huge colorado tubers I need to get rid of, you are welcome to them, but it is a space hog lily. Blooms multiple pink flowers all summer. A great bloomer and grower
IMG_3420(1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Here are some photos of the monofilament fence. It is difficult to see, which is actually nice for me but probably hard to see in the photos. Down at the far end, where the deer tend to drink, I have actually strung 3 rows of monofilament across. The deer can come to the water to drink, but if they walk in, they cannot go more than about 3 feet without hitting the "fence." I'm hoping this will save the bulk of the lilies. Some new little leaves have started to return. The first photo shows our latest interior improvement in progress. I chose a picture halfway through the job, so you could see the before and after. We had already replaced the wood balusters on the balcony with cable. (I am not a fan of a modern look, but in this case, it makes it so much easier to see! This weekend, we replaced the divided light window inserts with an edge panel that leaves the pane of glass open. It is wonderful! I should be able to take some good pictures, now!
You are so lucky to be able to have such a good view of your whole pond from inside...My yard is flat and level with the house so I cannot see much into the pond from inside:(

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are so lucky to be able to have such a good view of your whole pond from inside...My yard is flat and level with the house so I cannot see much into the pond from inside:(
We can see ours from the house, but down the slope, about 30 feet. We look down on it, can see the fish swimming etc. About 1/3 is hidden by the up slope bank. a 4 foot drop.

I wish we could have had a flat spot and a pond near the house. But I do like ours. The cams give us a constant view.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It works out well. I LOVE to be outside but only when I am working and dirty and sweaty and have on lots of bug spray. If I am clean (and need to stay that way for any reason) I would rather gaze at the pond from inside the AC. It is always so hot, humid, and buggy here, being outside just for social time or relaxation always ends up sweaty and with bug bites. Even though the pond seems to have helped the bug situation, the woods all around are full of them. They always manage to find me!
So - I spend a lot of my pond observation time up in that window!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thank you, GBBUDD!
Today's update -- THOSE GOL' DANGED DEER! There is no sign whatsoever of the multi-row fishing line "fence" being disturbed, and yet....
And yet -- plants have been eaten!!!!! How did they do that? I really can't imagine they would have jumped over into the water, onto the slippery, slimy rocks. None of the rocks look disturbed. But someone munched off all the new lily leaves on one of the plants and they ate a bunch of water willow.
I've heard a rumor that I might be getting a trail cam for a present next month.
It should be very interesting to see what's going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you, GBBUDD!
Today's update -- THOSE GOL' DANGED DEER! There is no sign whatsoever of the multi-row fishing line "fence" being disturbed, and yet....
And yet -- plants have been eaten!!!!! How did they do that? I really can't imagine they would have jumped over into the water, onto the slippery, slimy rocks. None of the rocks look disturbed. But someone munched off all the new lily leaves on one of the plants and they ate a bunch of water willow.
I've heard a rumor that I might be getting a trail cam for a present next month.
It should be very interesting to see what's going on.
It's super interesting to watch & see what's going on. Using my trail camera I discovered it was the rotten squirrels doing the damage to my pickerel rush. Oh, but as far as your deer goes, don't be surprised if you get some "attitude". Before our electric fence went in, I had one walk straight up to the camera & stick her tongue out at me! That's the day she earned the name 'Sassy'. :cautious:
deer brat 01.jpg

Ask a Question