Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When people get all excited about seeing deer in our neighborhood, I"m like "oh no thank you". We had one neighbor who would buy sacks of corn and apples to FEED them. Not smart. They will destroy your landscape in an evening. We used to have a whole herd of them that would wander through on a daily basis but as more homes were built they were less and less present.

Your pond is beautiful @bagsmom ! What a pleasure to enjoy your hard work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
When people get all excited about seeing deer in our neighborhood, I"m like "oh no thank you". We had one neighbor who would buy sacks of corn and apples to FEED them. Not smart. They will destroy your landscape in an evening. We used to have a whole herd of them that would wander through on a daily basis but as more homes were built they were less and less present.

Your pond is beautiful @bagsmom ! What a pleasure to enjoy your hard work!
Thank you!
I have very mixed feelings about the deer. We are right in the middle of our city and I hate all the suburban sprawl. It hurts my heart. Habitat loss is a big problem here. Thank goodness we are right by the national park and that it is protected. The developers around here make me nuts. I feel bad for nature.
I felt like a real weirdo yesterday -- I sprinkled Deer Scram around the pond again and grumbled a lot about the water lilies being eaten. Then I saw Mom and baby in the neighbor's backyard and I got all excited to watch them. The neighbor had taken down some limbs. They were on the ground and the baby (actually a "deer kid" now - spots are almost gone) was totally nervous about the branches. He was curious and sniffing around, then would get freaked out and jump away. It was a hoot.
Apparently, I can't make up my mind when it comes to my attitude on the deer!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just let them live here. Love watching them, watching the babies play. Yes they eat up stuff, does it bother me a tiny bit (day lily buds munched right off) yes.

We coexist.

They walk right to the house munching. I call them my clean up crew. Usually the "herd" stays in the back field, bedding down, eating. A few wander up the slope and munch.

Raccoons we have a lot, they never bother the ponds or bird feeders.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I have very mixed feelings about the deer. We are right in the middle of our city and I hate all the suburban sprawl. It hurts my heart. Habitat loss is a big problem here. Thank goodness we are right by the national park and that it is protected. The developers around here make me nuts. I feel bad for nature.

Absolutely right with you on that! When we first moved into our town, there were still antelope that would occasionally leap across the road in front of the entrance gate. We would hear jackals calling in the evening. And one night I saw a hyena just outside of town. We still have some wild boar, but I haven't seen any antelope in years, let alone hyenas. Nor have I heard the haunting call of the jackals in years.

Part of it is that after the wave of suicide bombings some years back, they built a system of security fences all over the place that divided up the habitats so that animals could no longer cross from one area to another to find a mate. (And any determined human that wanted to cross would still find a way). But there's also been a huge amount of building and urban sprawl that has destroyed habitats all along the coastal plains and the nearby hills.

We do still have rock hyraxes, and they come into the garden every now and again. In fact, I think one of them was in the other night, as I found a whopping big hole dug in part of the garden (still not sure why they dig the way they do). The local Bedouins used to graze their goats on the hillside below our house, but it may be that they are put off by having to cross so many roads to get here now. The grazing was good for preventing brush fires, as goats are enthusiastic (a bit too much so) about getting rid of underbrush. A bit of goat grazing is helpful; too much and you're left with a desert!

But yes, I miss the antelopes and the jackals.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our yard is a protected spot for the critters. It will be a sad day when I am no longer here to give them that.

Well all except, water snakes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have someone cook up some venison back straps with a nice rub on it problem solved how you'll feel about them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Once the plants are established, I won't mind sharing some! But dang - when they completely uproot the plants and leave the pots turned upside down, I want to give 'em a slap. Mind your manners, deer!
@YShahar - I shouldn't complain. Your situation is much more sobering. And your oasis is that much more important!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you!
I felt like a real weirdo yesterday -- I sprinkled Deer Scram around the pond again and grumbled a lot about the water lilies being eaten. Then I saw Mom and baby in the neighbor's backyard and I got all excited to watch them. The neighbor had taken down some limbs. They were on the ground and the baby (actually a "deer kid" now - spots are almost gone) was totally nervous about the branches. He was curious and sniffing around, then would get freaked out and jump away. It was a hoot.
I totally understand your mixed feelings. I have them as well. It's a bit different for me, though, because my property is very rural & there is no lack of habitat for the wild critters around here. I do love seeing the deer, and generally don't mind if they hang out within the bounds of our 10 acre property (unless Mama deer is trying to stomp my dogs to death, but that's a different story...) however I draw he line at coming into my more manicured garden & pond area. That's the area we ran the electric fence around & I don't feel bad about it one bit. There is plenty of food for Sassy & her little one out in the forest without chowing down on my plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are a few pictures from this morning. The light coming through the trees was nice!

Attachments

• IMG_4907.jpg
    IMG_4907.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4912.jpg
    IMG_4912.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4916.jpg
    IMG_4916.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4921.jpg
    IMG_4921.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4927.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks great, another month and all the plants will be in winter mode and less visits from bambi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just had to thank everyone for this thread, and amazing job bagsmom. I discovered this forum a week or two ago as I am getting ready to embark on my first pond. Saw this thread and started reading it, thinking there is no way I was going to read 23 pages, but I could not stop. First, the project is pretty similar to what I am planning and second the advice was amazing from everyone. Convinced me to join the Forum.
I started clearing my pond area last weekend, ridiculously large boulders to get out, the joys of being in NE with an old farmhouse, but then I saw this thread with the hard clay and realized we all have our burdens (my little kubota tractor lessened my burden). Guess I am lucky I dont have to buy stones, plenty of those around, lol. Just at the clearing stage, will do the real work in the Spring. Thanks again for the great thread.

Ask a Question