Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Pablo - I'm glad it was helpful information! And did you see how long ago I started? That should be encouraging to you if you ever feel the process is taking too long. You probably couldn't take any longer than I did! :p Can't wait to see your pond project!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Pablo - I'm glad it was helpful information! And did you see how long ago I started? That should be encouraging to you if you ever feel the process is taking too long. You probably couldn't take any longer than I did! :p Can't wait to see your pond project!
This has definitely been encouraging. Especially after last weekend when I was questioning myself with all those boulders, kept on finding one after another. My wife thinks I am crazy to build a pond but she was out there helping to get those boulders out.

Attachments

• 20220918_160541.jpg
    20220918_160541.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just had to thank everyone for this thread, and amazing job bagsmom. I discovered this forum a week or two ago as I am getting ready to embark on my first pond. Saw this thread and started reading it, thinking there is no way I was going to read 23 pages, but I could not stop. First, the project is pretty similar to what I am planning and second the advice was amazing from everyone. Convinced me to join the Forum.
I started clearing my pond area last weekend, ridiculously large boulders to get out, the joys of being in NE with an old farmhouse, but then I saw this thread with the hard clay and realized we all have our burdens (my little kubota tractor lessened my burden). Guess I am lucky I dont have to buy stones, plenty of those around, lol. Just at the clearing stage, will do the real work in the Spring. Thanks again for the great thread.
If your excavating the pond now you may want to read my showcase. As I made and listed errors I made and also have suggestions and hindsight to building I too am in NE , im in ct . Showcase link is below
You will be surprised how many boulders are needed to dress a pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your excavating the pond now you may want to read my showcase. As I made and listed errors I made and also have suggestions and hindsight to building I too am in NE , im in ct . Showcase link is below
You will be surprised how many boulders are needed to dress a pond
Oh I definitely went through your showcase yesterday, incredible project and extremely informative, I had looked because I had seen you were in CT. And dont worry I dont have an instagram account so I will not be posting any pictures of the finished pond showing liner;).

I will not be excavating until the Spring, I was just digging out the boulders in the area we are placing the pond. I wanted to clear out the space so we could think about the dimensions and shape of what we want to build. Stone is in abundance because the property used to be a farm so when they dug out the foundation for the barn 140 years ago that stone was not shipped out, lol. Prefer to use the stone around here since it is hard to buy that look with the lichen, moss, etc. Plus with the tractor I have the backhoe so I can dig for stones pretty easily. Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread, really just wanted to say thank you to all of you on this thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Start your pond build post now
Thanks for the compliment
Neither do i . Hey text can be read negative or positive ok so im not sugar and spice in my approach. Some got it some dont. A motivational speeker is not in my cards @Pablo .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Those are some great looking boulders Pablo! I am sure with all of your rooting around in this forum you will be well prepared for your project...Keep us posted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are some great looking boulders Pablo! I am sure with all of your rooting around in this forum you will be well prepared for your project...Keep us posted!
Thanks appreciate that. Taking them out I was not thinking they were great looking, lol. But they do look good. One of them was so big we started thinking maybe that will be an island, lol, rather than digging out. But after some maneuvering with the tractor was able to get it.
Much easier now to view the area we are thinking about and give thought to how we want to design it. Which is probably what most people do before going straight into building.
The tips here have been great. I have watched a lot of videos which are helpful but with professionals they dont always show the challenges us common homeowners face. And I swear to god they never find a rock when they are digging in those videos, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

What I have learned from the forum so far is that GBBUDD loves instagram, Addy1 thinks every pond should have a bottom drain, Lisak1 the more fish the better especially koi, combatwombat would never, ever use a bigger pipe than the outlet size, bagsmom loves working in clay, and everyone loves exactly the same size stones around a perfectly round pond, so I think I am in good shape for my project;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What I have learned from the forum so far is that GBBUDD loves instagram, Addy1 thinks every pond should have a bottom drain, Lisak1 the more fish the better especially koi, combatwombat would never, ever use a bigger pipe than the outlet size, bagsmom loves working in clay, and everyone loves exactly the same size stones around a perfectly round pond, so I think I am in good shape for my project;)

You're a quick study!

Ask a Question