addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They will do fine if in deep enough water to not freeze the tubers. The lotus pond froze over this winter, not real deep but did freeze. Mine are hardy lotus.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
LOL, you ladies ... OMG! You had me ROFLMAO!!!! I liked the second one, too, JW, but why does that lady start singing twangy country music? I wanted to hear just the frogs and crickets! I used to have "frogs and crickets" as my text message sound, but it's not on my phone I got last year, darn it! Made it hard to realize it was my phone when I was outside in the yard in the spring and summer. LOL "Wait, is that my phone or the frogs?" Still hear no little peeper frogs squeaking. I've seen just a few cricket frogs, too, but they are being quiet so far. Maybe they know something we don't know ..... Little worried about the weather doing a quick presto chango on us here any day now ....

CE I don't hear any country music when I play either of those frog sounds. Are you sure you heard it? I even downloaded and saved it again and still didn't hear country music,lol................or are you just joking,lol?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You need a sign that says frogs are welcome and make them little frog hotel ,no credit cards excepted .JW hearing impaired .I have to listen again did not pay real good attention as i was on the phone at the same time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I tried both of them, and after they played for maybe 15 seconds, this country twangy lady started singing some song! Must have something to do with I have ITunes, so maybe it was connecting with something my daughter had downloaded. Trust me, I love country music, but those twangy songs drive me nuts! I wasn't joking, not sure why it did that, then, but both of them did that. Probably my stupid computer playing tricks on me again. I tell it to stop, but it just laughs and keeps doing it. LOL

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Some new pictures I took this afternoon. I went to my mom's in Ky and robbed some things from her yard. LOL I took the piece of driftwood from her and dug up some of her plants. The little stump we picked up on our camping trip last weekend at the river. I plan on putting some of the green grass stuff in front of the little stump or maybe some creeping jenny. My mom also gave me a cutting from my grandfather's lilac bush that we brought here from California and I plan on putting that in the area somewhere.

My hubby loves Mr. Gator. I am so happy with how things are looking right now. I've ordered some landscaping plants and they should be here next week. Our local nursery has a spring pond clinic that is also next Saturday. We are going to that and hopefully will gain more knowledge. Ponding is wonderful.
photo (50).JPG
Not part of the pond, but our newest addition.
photo (51).JPG photo (52).JPG photo (54).JPG

photo (55).JPG photo (57).JPG photo (58).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I love love love the baby calf! He/she is adorable!
Did I see a cage over something planted in the bog? Maybe your dogs have gotten in there and broken off a plant? I worry about my new pup walking on flowers I've planted. I see several pots of plants in the pond, too! Woohoo!!! Bet those are lilies from Ms. Addy, huh?! Your fish look VERY happy and your water is so very clear. I'm jealous, although my water did clear up where I can see to the bottom. Just never is as clear as everyone else's not sure why ... maybe something in the chemical makeup of my well water. Love your Mr. Gator!!! And, is that grassy plant in some type of hanger over the edge of the pond? That's cool looking!!!
Thanks for sharing more pics. That's neat your local nursery is having a pond seminar. That's the way to get more people interested in them! Good way to find others who have ponds and share plants! You may not have any to share this year, but you will next year ... trust me. Oh, and your stump and driftwood are super duper! I love that kind of thing, too. In fact, I'm saving all the roots I chopped out of the new pond, and going to use them in one way or another on the new pond. Got ideas from the Garden Show in Chicago I went to last week. :)

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yep those are plants from addy! Thank you addy!!! I love the driftwood and natural elements. My hub looked at me like I was nuts bringing that stump home. Lol. The grassy stuff is actually from my moms small pond and is growing on the rock so I brought rock and all home. I put cages over bog to "prevent" boxer frI'm sampling plants. So far he's done great and hasn't gone for a swim either.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
PL nice photo's of your pond and I have a gator just like that but he had holes in his snout and I had an awful time trying to suck out the water from it and then fix it. It took a lot of sucking and finally fixed it trial after trial. The place I bought it from gave me my money back and sent me a new one and it had the same and worse problems. Maybe I will try and fix that one too, who knows.
Your pond looks so nice and clear and fish look pretty swimming in there w/ your new lilies starting to come up. I haven't put the ones from addy in my pond yet as is too cold here yet. Like your drift wood and grassy plant too. Stump is cool and gives a nice bit of artistry to the edge of the pond. You could even set a hanging type of plant up on it or have something climb upwards on it. Baby calf and mom reminds me that it must be Spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, I can picture you sucking on your gator's mouth ... OMG!!!
PL, when I was in UT last summer, before my daughter and I drove home with my horse trailer, not only did she collect rocks for me (now I wish we had gotten 3X as many!!!) but while we were hiking in the mountains, I found 3 pieces of driftwood, which I promptly threw over my shoulder (and my daughter and her friend carried one each) and brought back to the truck. I also found a white animal leg pone, about 14" long, not sure but her friend said cow. Anyhow, it is in my waterfall rocks, too. Those are my "UT treasurers"! I need more rocks for my new pond, but will have to wait and go looking for some in creeks and rivers when it gets drier this summer. Or ... like last year, I will get antsy and just buy some more. :)

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
JW I hope you didn't really have to try and suck water from your gator. I got Mr. Gator on Amazon. So far he has done great. He doesn't have any holes that I could see. My fish have been nipping at him. LOL I read that the lilies can actually go deeper than I have them, but you should lower them slowly? Do I need to wait till they are at the surface or can I lower them now. Right now the ones on the right side of pond are about 21".

CE I love the natural look and since we've started back fishing I'm on the constant lookout for new pieces of driftwood. I am searching for a small trunk with the roots exposed. Our nursery has them for sale but they want a Kings ransom for them. So I will find my own. We also need more rock to finish the sides of filter. I've backfilled it with dirt and will top off with rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
PL, my ex husband made a "stump chandelier" with a pretty good sized stump that was uprooted in the edge of a creek bed. It was very cool, we perfectly in "his" log house. :) Obviously, it took a good beam to attach it to, but the trunk part was not solid, so it was not as heavy as you might expect. He hung it upside down, like the tree was growing from the ceiling, to get the whole effect of the roots.
At the Garden Show, they had pieces of roots and partial trunks on the edge of one of the ponds. It looked very neat! That's what I'm going to try to do with my roots I chopped out of my new pond, maybe use them in between the bog and the pond, to cover the edge there. We shall see how it goes. Good luck finding a good stump with roots! Should be several at the end of the spring storms, after those trees that are on the edge of creeks and lakes get toppled with the winds. And, if you have half of a stump with the roots, that would, be cool, too!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes PL I did really have to suck the water out of the gators head several times. The first time is when I had it in the pond and it got pond water in and that was yucky to think about but I rinsed my mouth out really well. 2nd and so on times I had it in the sink testing it for leaks and finally got the holes plugged!
You don't have to wait to lower the lilies as it will just take them longer to reach the surface but no big deal.
I like to collect the driftwood from the saltwater beaches around here and the rivers. I always want to bring home the ginormous ones that are too heavy to life so we settle for what DH and I can carry. There is a house near the river not to far from us that has a rock as big as a house out in front of where they live w/ moss growing all over it. I would love to have that in my yard!
CE the stump chandelier sounds cool!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes PL I did really have to suck the water out of the gators head several times. The first time is when I had it in the pond and it got pond water in and that was yucky to think about but I rinsed my mouth out really well. 2nd and so on times I had it in the sink testing it for leaks and finally got the holes plugged!

We want pics or it didn't happen :FIREdevil:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kinda late now on the one I repaired but if I decide to do the other one they sent as a replacement I'll be sure to post pix.........ha ha ha!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Not trying to correct j.w., but be careful with those lilies; I've seen them just rot when they were placed too deep too soon after re-potting!
John

Ask a Question