Here we go...

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
CE - that was just a very small selection of the Koi. They had 2 tanks probably 40 feet long each. Yes it does have some red spots on it. The ids at the high school had named the black and red one Spooky. I loved it. We haven't named the others yet. My water temp was 63 today. We are supposed to be in the upper 70s all week with the lows only in the 50s. I did the small water additions as others on the forum have suggested to acclimate them to their new water. They were swimming around a little, but really like the Koi Kastle. Hopefully tomorrow all will still be swimming happily around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yea, that black and red one is really unique as well! I bet the red on the yellow fish will get more prominent as it gets older! Will be interesting to see how it changes as it grows. The black one, too! They tend to change all the time when they have that much black. You'll be starting to look at koi color patterns like I have been. LOL Something new to learn. Congrats, new Koi Mommy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pretty! They'll love their new home I bet! After work I got down n dirty and took off the tarp on my pond and started cleaning...dog gone leaves anyhoot and the darn per-formed pond of mine had about 8" of water in it to boot! YUCK is all I can say...but no holes as it held wherever that water came from (phew!). It was in the 70's here today and suppose to be most of the week so will probably get the waterfall/pumps out again and running this week wooo hoooo cant wait and so can't my fish on the porch in their tub!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice looking fish choices you made PL. Will be fun watching them grow and change colors. Man they have a lot of fish there at nice prices too!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yea, that black and red one is really unique as well! I bet the red on the yellow fish will get more prominent as it gets older! Will be interesting to see how it changes as it grows. The black one, too! They tend to change all the time when they have that much black. You'll be starting to look at koi color patterns like I have been. LOL Something new to learn. Congrats, new Koi Mommy!

i'm out of LIKES :razz: LIKE :razz: LIKE

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
All of my new "kids" seem to be doing fine. They have really been munching on the moss that is on the rocks. I think they are still a little bit shy. They seem to venture out of the Koi Kastle more at night. We have another new resident.... Mr. Frog. I actually think there maybe two of them. Our boxer heard them talking and he started barking at them. He couldn't tell where the sound was coming from. It was so funny.

I love my pond!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sounds wonderful, PL. So glad they are doing well. If you feed them in the same place each day, they will soon figure out where the food source is. I fed my fish for the first time today, and wow did they figure it out pronto! Of course, the ones that were there last year knew the routine, but the babies joined right in. The new goldfish are still staying pretty low and the water is murky so I can't see them very well, but they are learning to come up when I toss in a few pieces of food. I was more worried because that pond is new, so no algae growing yet for them to nibble on.
Few days ago I heard a bullfrog croak, loved it! This evening, there were two croaking, so I guess I've got competition going on out there. I see tons of the tiny peeper frogs, only saw a couple of the Northern Cricket frogs (also very tiny, but pretty patterns on their back, at least the males do), but not hearing them sing yet.
Once one frog finds your pond, they must put out a memo because pretty soon you will have all sorts of frogs, every shape and size and color! Enjoy them!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
PL good to hear your kids are doing well and now you have frogs! Too cool! I wish more would show up at my pond. I've head one but now it's cold again so think they are all covered up in their little beds again till or if it ever warms up around here. That's cute that your pup is fooled by the frogs. You should take some pics or video's of all these things happening near and in your pond!

CE you are so lucky to have so many different kinds and must be like a choir singing at night. Sometimes I hear the frogs off in the distance somewhere singing during the Spring/Summer warm nights after a good rain. Our neighbor across the street has a lot and his pond has some shallow spots where I think they like to hang out. I think I can prolly pick some up at a friends house up the road this year and hope they will stay at my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is looking great! Congrats on the fish!

When you plant tropicals be careful of a few things like Banana trees and bamboo. Both plant next to the pond can easily puncture a liner. Banana trees send up pups around the base and evern clumping bamboo if planted too close can puncture it.

I live in zone 7 and plant many tropicalesque plants they go perfectly with a pond. :)

Keep posting the pics :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, I have actually not heard the frogs at night, just in the evening the Bullfrog will croak once or twice while I'm sitting at the computer and have the sliding glass door open, but my bedroom is on the other side of the house, and so far have not heard them. I should sleep in the guest bedroom and see if I hear them. LOL I've been hearing the tiny peeper frogs in the ditch behind my house on the edge of the field for over a week during the day, though.
I hope you can gather some frogs at your friend's pond and bring them to your pond. I'm sure they will stay!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My banana tree is not by my pond so I don't have to worry about that thank heavens! No bamboo either.

I will be able to get lots of tadpoles so they can turn into frogs at my pond. She had some big sized tads last year so I'll get some of all sizes. Hopefully they will stick around. Hey maybe if I get a CD of frogs croaking and put it out on the front porch deck at night playing I will attract all the frogs in the neighborhood to my pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw, that might do it. The frog mating calls cd!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If there isn't a wildlife tape like that out there it may be a money making idea .Gosh with the frogs around here makes you wonder about how many different mating calls there could be .I know I have never seen as many frogs in my life as I have seen around here .Good thing though as we have no mosquitos around that I know of .

Ask a Question